1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former GaSouthern Coach Erk Russell dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by expendable, Sep 8, 2006.

1. prhack

prhack Member

RIP Erk. The Dawg Nation is forever in your debt.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Erk was a motivational genius. When he started the GSC program there was a drainage ditch the players had to cross to get to the field. He named it Beautiful Eagle Creek and told the players its waters had mystical powers. They would take a jug of the water with them on road trips and sprinkle it on the field before games to make it just like home.

And here's a link to a Hummer column. I'm assuming this is the one you meant:

http://www.bestofcox.com/2005/images/metro/sports/sample.pdf#search=%22beautiful%20eagle%20creek%20erk%22

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Joe - thanks for sharing that column. I'm thankful Erk was able to make his peace with the program the past two years. I'd hate to think that rift still existed when he passed on.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I always thought he looked like Don Rickles.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

thanks for the link, joe. hummer's so damn good

6. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Indeed.

My parents knew Erk pretty well from his UGA days and my mom teared up a little when we were talking on the phone today.

Her words: "He was such a sweet man."

Not exactly the image most of us have of Erk.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You won't hear one bad word about Erk anywhere, from anyone. That's trotted out every time anyone dies, but this time it's the Lord's truth. RIP.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy's dad played football with Erk at Ensley in Birmingham... he's pretty shaken by this...

9. boots

boots New Member

Erk was the man, the kind of coach who should have been a Division I school. Unfortunately, he loved Georgia and let's face it, there are only two D-I programs in the state which made his options limited. He was a good man. RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted