1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former FanHouse employee updates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 10, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm hearing dan graziano, best known as a baseball writer but most recently toiling the nfl landscape, has landed a pretty good gig but i'm not at liberty to give any details. sorry. don't mean to tease, just wanted to add his name to this list.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Graziano announced today he's NFC East blogger for ESPN.com

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Who did he replace?

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

that was the word i got last week and alluded to a few posts above. good for dan...

it's not the ideal gig -- no benefits, from what i hear -- but the salary is stellar. he replaced a guy named mosley, i believe, who i never read.

5. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Yeah, Dan replaced Matt Mosely and has already put up two quality blog posts. No benefits is never fun to deal with, but in this environment a gig like the one Dan got is impossible to pass up. He'll kick ass at it like he did over at FanHouse. Now let's just hope we can see more updates like this one about the other ex-FanHousers still out there trying to land on their feet.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mosely was definitely not one of the better NFL bloggers, which is surprising that they didn't hire someone better since that is arguably the NFL's most talked about division.

For $100K a year (some of them make more...) I could deal with paying for my own benefits.

I think ESPN does something where the "freelance bloggers" are able to purchase health care at a very reduced rate. They do something similar at Yahoo.

7. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

If you take a job in middle age without benefits, you are a fucking idiot.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No, if you don't have benefits, you are a fucking idiot. But if your job pays enough that you can afford to get your own insurance, or if your spouse has insurance he/she can put you on, then why would you require your employer to provide them?

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

what versatile said. i'd think dan is being paid enough to make the no-benefits a non-issue. or else he wouldn't have taken this job, which several others had already turned down...

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The no-benefits thing works for some and not for others. I scrape by freelancing full time because my wife has awesome health insurance through her work. I'm not putting anything away for retirement and have no life insurance, so I don't want to go on this way forever, but right now most of the bills are getting paid.

If I couldn't be on my wife's health insurance I probably would have taken a job at Kohl's or Starbucks or something, but I'd jump at a job like this or the Peegs.com job if I lived in the right part of the country.

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Mosley is a tool who is full of himself. He's on ESPN radio in Dallas in the afternoon and is below average. A main reason he landed the blogging and radio gigs at ESPN is because he's tight with Trey Wingo.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted