1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former FanHouse employee updates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It probably says a lot about the state of the industry that the bulk of this thread has been a debate over capitalization rather than people chiming in about immensely talented writers finding jobs.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, Mizzou, two things: One, capping FOX also drives me nuts and two, I think for the moment, Moddy et al have kind of summed up the current state of the FanHouse guys....

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Several who were in my group are involved with some pretty good jobs - I hope to hear some good news soon.

As Jim Lefko noted on the jobs board thread about his opening, there's a stunning amount of talent out there. Competition for any job is intense.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Oh, right. Hooray!

Also, Couch, Olsen, Whitley and Steele appear to have been kept on by Sporting News. Is that it?

5. Mizzougrad96

Those were the four they kept. They tried to keep Blackistone, but he wanted too much money.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So not one editor or blogger or reporter. Just three decent columnists and David Whitley.

7. Mizzougrad96

I actually agree with that statement. Everybody thinks Whitley is a great guy, which he is, but he's not on the same level as the other three. The other three are among the best in the business.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I strongly disagree that Olsen, Steele and Couch are "among the best in the business." To say that would be to suggest they'd rank as three of the top 10-20 sports columnists nationally. They are really good -- I like that Couch still writes about tennis (even in its lowest common denominator form) and Olsen is capable of wonderful long form when she chooses. Steele can reach, but at least he takes a hard stance and generally seems to believe it.

All three would be fine fits on any staff, and I'm happy for them at Sporting News. None would measure up to the likes of Wetzel, Posnanski or Bryant/Wilbon, as far as their competitors go. And there are plenty of those still at newspapers who are better.

As far as Whitely, he seems to have accepted his role as an instigating contrarian, and it makes him a complete mockery at times.

9. Mizzougrad96

Couch would make my top 10. Olson wouldn't be far behind. Steele would be in my top 25 or 30.

I'd take Wetzel, Doyel and pretty much everyone you mentioned over all four of them, but I think if you're among the top 50 sports columnists working, "one of the best in the business" isn't a reach. Just my opinion...

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I've heard good things about Mike Harris.

11. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I always enjoyed reading Chris Harry on FanHouse - - and in the Orlando Sentinel before that. Any news as to his whereabouts?

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Michelle Smith is covering women's hoops for ESPNw. Don't know if it's full time or freelance or what.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/blog/_/post/6218067/top-seeds-dominate-ncaa-women-tourney

Congrats to her.

Draft saved Draft deleted