1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former FanHouse employee updates

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If people hear which former FanHouse employees have found jobs can they post them here?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Mike Harris - SE of Washington Times
    Marc Lancaster - deputy SE,Washington Times

Matt Snyder - baseball blogger, CBS
    A.J. Perez - hockey blogger, CBS
    Rich Zuckerman - at MLB.com in some capacity

Some who stayed got cut today (see the original thread), not sure yet who all is involved with that but it is too damn many.

Will update as I learn more.

And it is FanHouse - cap H. Then and in memoriam.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

4. Moderator1

Thank you - that's not the entire list, others have found some things and I'm just not totally sure where right now. Will add more later when I get more time. Lunch break about done.

The "H" thing never bothered me much before, frankly. Now it does. And what is going on there today bothers me even more.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a dick, but I have a question about the "H".

I typed FOX the other day, referring to the network and was told it should be Fox, even though they write it in all caps.

Is there a difference between that and FanHouse that I'm missing?

Again, just curious, not trying to pick a fight with anyone.

6. Moderator1

No clue - I never asked why they capped the H. They just did so I did.

7. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Not trying to be a grammar nerd, but the H could reasonably be capitalized since you're dealing with two words -- "fan" and "house" smashed together. I don't like such affectations, but that would be a fair reasoning.

Fox is never capitalized because it doesn't stand for anything, the way NBC (National Broadcasting Company) or CBS (Columbia Broadcasting System), et al, once did. (Now they don't actually stand for anything, but that's a different story for a different thread).

Just because Fox capitalizes every letter in its name doesn't mean you have to. They do it for attention, so it's on par with the other broadcast networks. You wouldn't refer to the wildlife channel as ANIMAL PLANET, would you? Otherwise, you'd always have to refer to that four-color newspaper as USA TODAY (rather than just "USA Today"), that big-box store as WAL-MART (really, it's just "Wal-Mart") and the golfing organization as the PGA TOUR (instead of the less-hyperactively thyroided "PGA Tour").

Conversely, it's also "Adidas" (not "adidas") and K.D. Lang (not "k.d. lang"), but, again, that's a different conversation.

Sorry for the threadjack. My best to those FanHouse alums still looking.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The difference between capping both parts of a compound word and capping every letter in a single word.

9. eastsidescribe

eastsidescribe New Member

Happy to see Snyder land on his feet.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I love the threadjack. Fox being all-caps is one of my (many) editing pet peeves :) To make things even more confusing, Wal-Mart is the company and the stores are Walmarts.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Speed Network also capitalizes. Facebook also lowercases.

12. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Indeed. By the way, there's an excellent book for writers and editors, called "Lapsing Into a Comma" by Bill Walsh, that discusses all sorts of meaningless capitalization, lack of capitalization and affectations.

Draft saved Draft deleted