1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Eagle Andre Waters Commits Suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Eagles1 in London, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I was going to say, Ken Rose was with the Jets in 1989 and wasn't that sort of player.

I have tape of that Thanksgiving 1989 game (I was there with my brother, too), and I remember Waters knocking the shit out of Zendejas. Maybe I'm thinking of Small.

2. don't know why ken rose popped in my mind first...anyway, i could be wrong about small....guess all of those guys back then could have been guilty of it...

also, correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't brit hager nail aikman after a ref called a play dead in that same game?

3. In the interest of accuracy and not speaking ill of the recently-deceased ... Watters ended the career of Redskins kicker Jess Atkinson on what was considered a cheap shot. But he was a hard-nosed player you hated to play against and wanted on your team. RIP.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

thanks. i stand corrected.

5. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Waters was just generally regarded as a guy who might take a late or "cheap" shot. He was a fine safety. Again, he was like the M.L. Carr of football - love him on your team; hated him if he wasn't. That's (at least) three dead from the great Eagles defenses of the Buddy Ryan era - Jerome Brown, Reggie White and now Waters.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Eerie. He and Jerome Brown died in locations about an hour apart in Tampa and Brooksville, Fla. One a suicide and the other a very senseless death.

7. out of everybody on that "Gang Green" defense of my youth, Andre Waters was my favorite because he was a headhunter who simply didn't give a damn. He must've really been going through something to take his own life. I pray no one of us has that kind of trouble in our lives. RIP, Andre.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That sums it up pretty well.

Kids from Rickey Jackson to Andre Waters were taught to hit people and hit them hard in Belle Glade, Fla. Even back at Pahokee, Waters' job was to put a lick on the other team's best player.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Is that really eerie? That they died in the same state?

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'll have to go back and look this up, but I seem to remember Waters being one of the players involved in starting a huge, bench-clearing brawl at a training-camp controlled scrimmage the Eagles played against the Falcons in Macon, Ga., in the late '80s. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen. My very fuzzy recollection is that there was a small skirmish in warmups before the scrimmage, and then some perceived cheap shot touched off the major fighting. I clearly remember that the fight stretched from the end zone on one end of the field to the opposite 20-yard line.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I saw him coach in a game two weeks ago. It's sad to hear of his death.

Draft saved Draft deleted