1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Cubs hurler killed by lightning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Norman Stansfield, May 26, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It was kinda dumb.

2. Lightning used to be perhaps the most feared act of nature in the 18th century. A lightning strike would almost always kill and the lightning if hitting a building would start devastating fires.

It should be recalled that Benjamin Franklin was a world-wide celebrity mainly because he invented the lightning rod. His invention saved the lived of perhaps hundreds of thousands of people. And he never tried to patent the invention because he wanted the life saving device to be freely available to all.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

How about we discuss Moddy <i>striking</i> you from the members list at SportsJournalists.com. Dolt.

4. Notepad

Notepad Member

Relax, Francis.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://books.google.com/books?id=y0fGhVtchxQC&dq=lightning+in+early+america&pg=PP1&ots=hiDifo6UDE&source=citation&sig=s_R5H_Rtg1SCvvgDnJhYqZtIkdg&hl=en&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dlightning%2Bin%2Bearly%2Bamerica%26btnG%3DSearch&sa=X&oi=print&ct=result&cd=1&cad=bottom-3results#PPA1,M1

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Easy now.
    I usually don't participate but, hell, sometimes you have to laugh. It isn't funny that Thelma Keane died but the knockoff Family Circus strips are hilarious.

I hope when I die, people go, "Oh, damn. Too bad." And then get right on with their lives. Because I've learned over the years the dead don't come back no matter what you do. And laughing is more fun than crying.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I understand that, Moddy. Hell, I hope there's more laughing than crying at my funeral. But for one guy to keep cracking joke after joke seems a bit excessive.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He's charged up, full of juice *** so lighten(ing) up on him.

He'll get his anyway. When he least expects it, there will be a bolt with his name on it.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

You totally blew that one, by the way. "<i>Lighten</i> up, Frances," would have been far more effective.

10. Notepad

Notepad Member

It was on purpose. It was part of the whole joke.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well you missed in your attempt, then. And to think, you were so amped up in getting out all of these jokes.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This is shocking news.

Draft saved Draft deleted