1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former CNN anchor gets in shootout, one dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jul 2, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

All that's missing from this story is someone calling Russell a "dame" or a "broad."

FileNotFound likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And then years later, the story will somehow involve an RPG.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. Interesting that she is from there originally, but what's the credible alternate story?

Drugs? Were they buying, or selling? If they were just looking to buy some drugs, why did they need to rent a room? That seems unnecessary, and like an added cost.

They were going to sleep somewhere that night eventually. Were they going someplace other than the Motel 6 after they scored drugs? Where?

The dead guy wasn't from Albuquerque. He was on parole from Tennessee, and had no record locally. So, how did Russell and de Caro hook up with him?

If it's a drug deal, why is she alone in the parking lot, and he's in the room, in the shower?

I'm more than willing to believe the dialogue isn't accurate. That would be normal in a recounting of an event like this.

But, the simplest answer is usually the answer.

They were traveling with a dog. Motel 6 allows dogs. It was late, they decided to get a room before getting back on the road. Motel 6 was cheap and convenient.

Russell, who worked for Headline News (now HLN) from 1983 to 2001, said the couple was heading to California and, after stopping in Albuquerque to have dinner with friends, they decided to get a motel room. They chose Motel 6 because it allows dogs, she said.

Lynne Russell and husband survive motel gunfight - CNN.com

4. Vombatus

Maybe they just wanted to have really loud sex.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ever met a female television news personality, local, national or otherwise?
    Ever met one who wasn't an incredible priss?
    Ever met one who in a million years would ever consider "slumming" in a Motel 6?

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yes, to your first two questions at least.

7. YankeeFan

OK, but they were staying at the Motel 6, right?

Do you have to stay in a Motel 6 to buy drugs?

I get that folks might not know "what really happened", but I still haven't heard a plausible alternate theory.

8. Vombatus

Maybe they were going to REALLY mess up the sheets and were too embarrassed to do that at a fancier hotel that might hunt you down and charge you for new bed linens.

Or maybe freqposter was showing up for a three-way not in a cornfield.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

Gives you a pretty good alibi for when the cops ask, "why were you at a Motel 6?"

10. YankeeFan

It's been a while since I bought drugs, but I never had to rent a hotel room to accomplish it. Why would they have to?

And, are you saying that they were so desperate to score, that they were willing to slum it in a Motel 6, or did they have plans to stay somewhere else after scoring? If so, where? Is there any indication that they planned on sleeping the night anywhere else?

11. BitterYoungMatador2

If you're going to a motel to score drugs, some shit goes down, the cops get called and you get questioned, "we're here because we were just passing through and staying the night. We had no idea it was a drug-infested shithole," sounds a lot more credible than, "ahh, fuckin' like, well, you know, like, shit..." What's a Motel 6 run for the night? $40? Forty bucks to have a halfway decent alibi? I would consider that a decent business expense.

12. Vombatus

This Motel 6 in Albuquerque is starting to sound like No Country For Old YF.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted