1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former CNN anchor gets in shootout, one dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So, she is the danger?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Your wife packs heat and hangs out in seedy motels around midnight?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think you guys are jumping to a lot of conclusions.

They were driving from D.C. to California. This hotel is right off I-40, and is surrounded by La Quinta, a Hampton Inn, a Super 8, and an Econo Lodge.

It's just the kind of place you would stop at on a road trip if you were tired, and decided to call it a day.

It's not luxurious, but for one night, it's fine:

Motel 6 - Albuquerque - Coors Road - Albuquerque, NM - Motels & Hotels

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

"Every" time? So just how many people have you killed, HH?

5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don't know much about Russell's husband but it's been known for decades that Lynne almost always carried a pistol on her, sometimes even while she was anchoring on the CNNHN desk.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Super 8 and Motel 6 were the common dwellings for family getaways when I was a kid and in my early adulthood I was of the mindset that usually all I needed was a bed and maybe a TV, so why pay twice as much.

But sometime in the past 15 years or so things changed to make it seem worth springing for a little nicer place even if it is just to sleep for a few hours before hitting the road again. Too many of these places are essentially crack and whore houses these days.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hate to burst the coffee repairman's bubble, but there's only so much you can learn from Google Maps.

The intersection where they stayed has had more than 100 crimes in the vicinity in the past two weeks, according to a TV report.

Including this one:

Body removed from northwest Albuquerque field | Albuquerque Journal News

It's a notorious neighborhood...which Lynne Russell would be fully aware of, since she went to high school here in the Duke City. It's a shit motel, in a shit neighborhood, and there are better options just off the freeway just a few exits East.

The shooting is the talk of the town, and no one believes the story the police and the victims are providing.

BDC99 likes this.
  8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What, you don't find this believable?

Russell and de Caro — both described as expert shots — were legally carrying concealed handguns, she said. She said she offered to search her purse for something of value to hand over to the gunman — and slipped her gun into the purse, which she then handed to her husband.

"'Is there anything in here we can give him?'" Russell said she asked. "Chuck said, 'Oh, yes, there is.'"

I'd be more convinced if he had said "Say hello to my little friend."

studthug12 likes this.
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

"Excuse me while I whip this out."

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No self-respecting wife is going to sign off on staying at a Motel 6 if there's a better option within 100 miles.

Ace likes this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. So the guy has a gun on her and she takes the time to hand the gun to her husband and utter bad dialogue before the shooting starts?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Brian Williams woulda taken him down with a karate kick to the neck.

Draft saved Draft deleted