1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Chargers safety Terrence Kiel dies after car accident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pressboxramblings07, Jul 5, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

[blue]Fucking liberals. You all preach compassion when Ted Kennedy falls ill, but then a millionaire athlete who presumably voted Republican dies and you have no sympathy for him. You guys make me sick.[/blue]

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He can explain if he wishes, but as I recall, it kinda is.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Dude. We get it.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This strikes me as incredibly crass.

Maybe there is an appropriate time to say, "eh, he deserved it." Surely that time is not while the body is still warm.

If you didn't care about this dickwad, you probably should have just not opened this thread. Because all this "he deserved it" crap seems really, really inappropriate.

Sorry, but that's how I feel.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This may be right. But you know, there's people on the Jesse Helms thread basically saying the same thing, ie: good riddance, etc, etc., and the body wasn't even cold yet.

I guess that's the hypocrisy of SportsJournalists.com.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Oh come on. Helms' body has been cold since at least 1985.

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

This thread reminded me a little bit of the intial reaction to Sean Taylor's death. I read Wilbon's column the day after he was shot (and still alive) and Wilbon wrote about how Taylor's past probably caught up with him. And it was unfair then. And I think it's unfair now. One has to wait for the full story before making a determination. I'm not saying the death of these two athletes is in any way similar, I'm just saying that I learned a lesson about jumping to conclusions. You just don't know...

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Well said.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

gimme an effin' break.

sigh. i never said "it was good for him to be dead" or that i'm glad that he's dead. i feel nothing that he's dead, except relief that he didn't kill anyone while he something busy driving under the influence -- so much under the influence that others at the party allegedly tried to dissuade him from driving.

but kiel insisted and ended up driving THE WRONG WAY down a street -- according to a witness -- and ended up crashing into a wall with no other vehicle involved. sure, sounds reasonable to me.

nothing personal, sonny. strictly business.

i'm quite surprised a fine young fellow with such an exemplary background has been so wonderfully defended by the SportsJournalists.com "r.i.p." police. i'm not "rushing to judgment" for a news organization here. my mistake for feeling i could express an opinion on this incident on, you know, AN EFFIN' MESSAGE BOARD!!

if an autopsy comes up clean i'll happily apologize for tarnishing the memory of the late mr. kiel. don't think that'll be necessary, but i will.

just as i'd hope that those jumping me for being so heartless will justifiably then attack kiel for putting other lives at risk.

my prayers are reserved for folks who merit them, and those are plenty.

10. Jesse Helms died an old man at age 86. He was a U.S. Senator that had espoused hateful views against blacks, gays and on HIV and AIDS patients. He was an U.S. Senator for four terms and therefore had great power to push these views on our country. Kiel was 27 and a professional football player. He was young. He did not publicly support the same shameful positions as Helms. Nor was he a senator capable of putting those viewpoints into legislation. Was Kiel likely a fucktard? Yes. But based upon what we know of Kiel at this point, he does not reach the special section of Hell reserved for people like Jesse Helms.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Inartful, but I agree with the basic content.

And Leonard Little still draws a paycheck from the NFL.

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Pretty much. I find it impossible to compare a hateful prick to an ignorant kid.

Draft saved Draft deleted