1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Cal Coach, Pete Newell, Passes at Age 93

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Nov 17, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

News just broke over ESPN. Link later.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Re: Former Cal Coach, Pete Newell, Passes at Age 92

One of the all-time great, specialized in coach big men at his "Big man" camp in recent years.

Coached Cal to the NCAA title in '59 and US Olympic gold medal team in '60.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

RIP to a great man and coach. Isn't the annual Pete Newell Challenge coming up soon, too?

Edit update: Just checked Cal and Stanford schedules and the PNC is no more. What a shame.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3709014

Honored by Bob Knight in 2007, being called one of the greatest coaches in college basketball history.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

An all-time great. We were lucky to have him for so long. I guess Heaven had a big man who needs some help on his footwork.

RIP Mr. Newell and thanks.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the truly great minds in the game's history. HIS coaching tree is the redwood which towers over all others. Knight and Krzyzewski are fourth-and-fifth-generation branches.

7. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

My goodness.

RIP "Coach."

His impact and legacy aren't very well known, shoot, he isn't well known by the common basketball fan, but his work helped change the game into the sport that it is today.

8. Nice tribute by Bruce Jenkins of the SF Chronicle, who wrote Newell's biography.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/17/SPGM1468HJ.DTL

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Walked in from the office about 10 minutes ago and heard (Uncle) Brent and Lavin talk about it.

Big, big loss in college hoops and the revolution of using the center down low in the lane. I'm hoping Cal does something special for Coach when they step onto Pete Newell Court at Haas Pavilion (I don't know what the hell else they call it, but I prefer they drop the corporation name tag on it).

A tip of the hat to Coach Newell, as he shows George Mikan and Wilt Chamberlain some new foot work and moves upstairs in Big Man heaven.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Like many others, ESPN did not break this story.
    And the Pete Newell Challenge is on hiatus. It's not dead.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Pete Newell will teach more than just Jesus Shuttlesworth the nuances of the post.

RIP and thanks for your unforgettable contributions to a great game.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What a lot of people don't know is Pete Newell never took a dime to hold his Big Man Camp. He did it for the love of the game. This came up in the thread a couple of weeks ago about the 7-6 kid who got staph in his foot.

Draft saved Draft deleted