1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Baltimore Sun reporter Cameron Snyder passes

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Feb 2, 2010.

1. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-snyderobit0130,0,3260654.story

Snyder died at age 93 of lung cancer. He covered the (Baltimore) Colts during their heyday.
    I never knew Cameron, but his brother Jim, who is also deceased, was a long-time sports fixture in West Virginia, serving as SE of the Parkersburg News for decades.

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

I worked with Cameron. They called him the Old Goat because he had a white goatee. I could see how the Colts would have let him stand in at guard during practice (which they did, according to Mike Klingaman's obit in The Sun). He definitely had that bowling-ball Fuzzy Thurston kind of build.

Looking back, there was one lede he wrote at the end of his career that got cut by one of us punkass desk kids who were drinking the APSE Kool-Aid. Years later, I realized much too late that I wish it has seen print, and it's one lede from The Sun that I can recite 25 years later:

"The foliage around Harford Community College is so beautiful this time of year, it would have caused Vincent Van Gogh to cut off his other ear."

We laughed about it, and it got cut. It was a friggin season preview on Harford CC for crying out loud. We should have run it. Sorry, Cameron. RIP, old goat.

Draft saved Draft deleted