1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former Alabama player gets fired because of "The Biggest Loser"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Roger Shultz will still be "In the Trenches," but he won't be the associate AD at Jacksonville State anymore. He got canned for all the time off he's taken to be on the show.

http://www.ajc.com/uga/content/sports/uga/stories/2008/03/28/shultz_0328.html

If you watch this show, be warned that the above story could possibly require a spoiler alert, although just mentioning that might be a spoiler alert in and of itself.

On the upside, the dude has lost 125 pounds.

EDIT: Another story says he'll be on the April 8 show, so apparently he's still on the show. So it's a different kind of spoiler alert.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Roooooooolllllll Tide!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've got less than zero sympathy for that guy. That's a dumb, dumb thing to do, taking a leave of absence to go on a TV show six months into the gig.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I can tell my friend Bill Lawrence you're a no for Season 8 of Scrubs then. You were totally going to play Elliot's love slave in a 10-episode arc and be tutored by Dr. Jan Itor, but I suppose I'll give Mikey a call instead.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

The show kind of drags (two hours?!), but the weigh-ins are interesting. And Roger has been a bit a-holean lately.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Hey! My love for the lovely Ms. Chalke is greater than BYH's or Mikey's! God, the things I'd let her do to me. Shit, I'd even move to Canada for her.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

You dumbass.

I'd quit my job for that.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

He's seems okay with the fact that he got fired.
    Hey, if I had to choose between my job and getting healthy -- say so I could live long enough to get another job -- I'd pick the latter.

Good for him for all his success.

9. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I agree. Losing 125lb in a few months may be life saving for him. The guy can always get another job. It's hard to get another life.

10. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

You can always find another job - even if it's not your first choice of jobs.
    Roger is getting the opportunity of a lifetime to get healthy, receive encouragement and direction and immerse himself in a wealth of information and education about how to life a healthy lifestyle.
    That's invaluable.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

It's a no-brainer to me. Losing the job was probably an additional 200 lbs of stress off his back.

But why wouldn't you want him at the job. It would seem like a great PR thing for the university and the athletic department. They could use him to promote health and wellness throughout the university.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because the bottom liners do not give a shit about your health and wellness.

I see my opinion here is in the minority. I'm all for the guy saving his life, but how can he expect his new employer to say OK, go and be on a TV show for "X" months? They presumably hired him expecting to get his full effort and attention. And now they're not.

And take a look at the biggest loooser thread here (ha! that's ironic) to realize you do not have to go on a TV show to lose copious amounts of weight. you can do it slowly and steadily and with a better diet.

Jesus I sound like my dad.

Draft saved Draft deleted