1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forgiveness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

heh, heh... yeah. right.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Right. I think what CC was saying is he's been caught with his hand in the cookie jar, and instead of denying it, he said "Yeah, you caught me".

In PR terms, he's in full damage-limitation mode, getting out there and talking about it. Undoubtably, he didn't get pressed by Gammons as he likely will be by the NY media, but going on ESPN for a 35-minute interview to say I'm sorry and when he did it and why, helps his chances far more at being forgiven by the public than refusing to talk to anyone.

Us? We're a bunch of cynics, and rightfully so. We've seen it all and heard it all before. That doesn't mean A-Rod won't be perceived in a different light to McGwire, Bonds or Palmeiro by the general public simply because he and his handlers are smart enough to know how the forgiveness game is played.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

So did I. Would have been better for all involved.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Well done. That fucking song started running through my head as soon as I saw the thread title.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

One of a number of great songs by that man. ;)

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I was going another direction, along the line of getting past a sexual dalliance with Ivor the Engine Driver:

Come on, you're all forgiven!

(At least all on this thread; A Rod, probably not so much.)

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A-Rod, this song's for you:

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Outing alert-Hockeybeat is Tim Tebow

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This thread has been fun ...

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

A-Fraud got points for confessing with his PR flacks. But a guy who responds, when asked about a report he tested positive for steriods, "You'll have to talk to the union," didn't win many points there. He's like all the rest. Deny, deny, deny, you're persecuting me, you're a horrible man, I did it, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I said I'm sorry.

It's not just baseball players, but this is while people pay lip service to innocent before proven guilty, they assume that's the case. Because jails are full of "innocent" men. I know one who had his thumbprint on the tape of the pipe bomb he sent to his wife.

FBI put it there, of course.

A-Rod was young. He was naive. The cat made him do it. The lame excuses and the lies don't fly. Now, this doesn't mean he's the devil. It does mean that 1) He'll be a rich pariah for a while, and 2) His Yankees teammates were right, as it turned out.

Only nine more years of that contract. I'll probably forget what channel ESPN is by then.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The NY Post's Joel Sherman asked the following question in his blog on the paper's website: ARod used steroids because of pressure in Texas but he's been clean in his four years with the Yankees? There was more pressure in Texas than there is playing for one of the legendary organizations in all of sports? There's no pressure playing for an organization that is covered by a small army on a daily basis from February to November?

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/st/archives/2009/02/3_up_the_a-rod.html

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Joel vermin? Sorry hockey. I'm not a fan of the ultimate fanboi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.