1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forgiveness

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At least he didn't say he knew nothing about it and that someone must have spiked his Gatorade -- or maybe it was something in the cold medicine he was taking.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

It's not whining. It's more juvenile to do what you have done. And as you can see, an outing or attempted outing post does more damage to the site than is needed. It's not the first time you have attempted to out someone. Hopefully, it will be the last.
    Like I forgive A-Rod, I forgive you for your attempt.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Ace, his explanation on how he found out about the roids wasn't original and didn't tell me much, not that I really wanted to know.

4. When was the first time I attempted to out someone?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am just saying that on the scale of athletes caught red-handed, his explanation/honesty rates a B.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Gammons asked him about the Katie Couric interview and (I'm paraphrasing here) ARod said something along the lines that he viewed it as that since his name hadn't been released at that point, he was clean.

Is he nuts? Is he insane? By that logic, then does anything go?

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hmm, here is a query for you drippy?

Which is more juvenile: making up stories about a next door neighbor and HR people just to get a reaction out of the board

or

"attempting" to out someone.

Notice there were no names involved here. Just two scenarios. Honestly, I have to say scenario No. 1 is the most juvenile.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think he's honest because he has seen what happens when you stay quiet (McGwire) or when you lie (Bonds). Hey, seems like a pretty good choice to make. Now, we'll see what the fall out is.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It was a Thursday. You were wearing pink.

10. IT WAS SALMON! NOT PINK!

11. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

To put that in further context, he admitted taking "stuff" but didn't know what it was. Let's say it was something you could buy over the counter at the time but would cause one to fail a test (is that possible? any weightlifting buffs know?).

Then, he was tested, but never knew the results of the test — pass or fail. I could see how a guy could think he was clean — or want to think and portray he was clean. Although, he still should have wondered and felt guilty and said to Couric "well, I took something, but I was never told I failed a test. I assume it was a clean, legal supplement."

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

ARod said that "putting it out there" and "putting (out) the truth" is important. Well, he did not do that until the SI story came out. And he had opportunities with Katie Couric, the army of NYC baseball writers, the Texas baseball writers, national baseball writers and any number of interviews with ESPN.

The only reason "the truth will set (him) free" is because he had no choice. His name was linked to a failed test. If ARod's name wasn't leaked, would he have come out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.