1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drip

Drip Active Member

It appears that the country is ready to forgive A-Rod for his steroid useage. What if alleged users such as Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds came clean? Would you be as forgiving?
  2. I find it easier to forgive and forget with A-Rod because he was honest about it. He didn't deny or try to cover it up. McGwire and Bonds denied it from the get go. That's where a lot of the problem with athletes are concerned. Just be honest about what happened in the past and the fans are much more likely to forgive and forget.
  3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Me? No.
    America's baseball fans? At the drop of a hat.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It doesn't appear that way at all.
  5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Someone mentioned this on another thread. A-Rod never admitted to anything besides making a mistake. He never said what he took or what he did or even how he did it. So what did he come clean about? Nothing really.
  6. :eek: :eek:

What was he honest about? He was "honest" 'cause he got caught and outed by four sources.
    How was he honest? Was he honest when asked point blank by Kaite Couric if he ever took steroids or performance-enhancing drugs?
    Now that he has been outed as a cheat, what did he really admit to? A mistake.
    What did he apologize for? Being young and stupid, which was more an excuse than an apology.
    Did he say he was sorry for lying? No.

How in the hell can he be considered honest?
  7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

um, missed that 60 minutes episode, did ya?
  8. Useage?

Also, are you high? What leads you to this conclusion?
  9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Active Member

He was honest about what?
  10. forever_town

forever_town Active Member

He denied it in a 2007 interview. He's only copped to it now because of the Sports Illustrated story.

I am slightly more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt because he didn't try to spin it or deny it after the report. But I am still not going to forgive the fact that he 1) did steroids to begin with and 2) denied it for such a long time until he got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

But I think ultimately, I'd confine myself to simply referring to him as A-Fraud or yelling that at him. I choose to remember his moving Cal Ripken, Jr. to shortstop during the 2001 All Star Game for its symbolism, not the fact that he's a steroid monkey like the rest of the ones who got caught or admitted it.
  11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

He came clean? I respectfully disagree. He just spun more tales to attempt covering his previous lies.
  12. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Pretty big conclusion to make considering the news isn't even a week old. And his "apology" is what, a day old?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.