1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forgive me, for I have sinned...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jul 4, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Duh. She was an actor. Ever see Grace Under Fire?

2. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

I'm paranoid about making sure I get the right score. I got one wrong once, my second year out of college about 16 years ago. I was covering a high school football game on the road. The school I was covering was leading 14-0 and had the ball at the other team's 3-yard line, went for it on fourth down and scored a touchdown. The team scored but there was a penalty. They marked a 10-yard penalty off and the kicker came in. I missed the signal on the penalty and thought the TD didn't count and they were coming in to kick the field goal.

The kick was good and it was the final score of the game. Where I was sitting in the press box, I couldn't see the scoreboard and thought the final score was 17-0. I found out the next day from the coach (who luckily is a good guy) that the penalty was after the play and penatly was being marked off on the extra-point, which of course starts at the 3. The touchdown counted so it really was 21-0. Ever since then, the first thing I do after every football and basketball game is to check the score board then write in big numbers at the end of my play-by-play notebook the final score and circle it.

Uggh. I still cringe when I think about that.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just got back from my vacation. Glad to read the stories of other sinners. I feel better. Thanks guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted