1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forgive me, for I have sinned...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Jul 4, 2008.

1. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

First time in my career, today I got the score wrong.

It was a baseball game where there was on of those tack-on bottom of the eighth inning runs and I just brain locked and never added it to the score in my gamer. Of course I've filed running stories in the top of the ninth when another run has scored, but the desk always knew to look out for that and usually I told them about it.

But this was a day game! I filed an hour after the game ended!

Ugh.

This was my last gamer before vacation, so I guess my brain had already gone on vacation.

So now I'd like all of you to tell me what an idiot I am ... as my punishment.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You suck!

At least you got the score in there. I know I left the score out more often than I got it wrong and I got it wrong a couple of times. One time I wrote about a game was strangely similar to another game and of course I used the score of that other game. Great e-mail from a reader: You are right, it was similar but it wasn't THAT similar.

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Haha. I've given high school kids pro athlete names before. Brainlock where the first letter of the kid's first name starts with the same letter as the pro, and their last names are the same. I've done that 3x I think.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I once called a coach an NFL players name in a story. It got by the desk and no one ever said anything in the community. It was pretty embarrassing.

5. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

I once reported that a high school quarterback threw 109 passes in one game for a team that runs a Wing-T.

Instead of being 3-of-10 he was 3-of-109. Readers loved that

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

crap happens. i once sprung awake in a hotel room in tampa sure i had a bucs-jets final score wrong. at 4 a.m. i'm up checking my computer. i was off a point in the lede but the desk saved my butt. whew!

i've got a classic brainlock, though. the year the rams drafted leonard little, in my day-after nfl draft analysis i called him "little leonard." wasn't caught by the desk. totally my bad.

he'll always be "little leonard" to me. ;D ;D ;D

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Those last runs tried just as hard as those in the first seven innings, Mister...

8. inkfingers

inkfingers Member

Hey! That was my kid who scored that last run! Whaddaya got against my kid! I know, fire the writer! Nevermind that he has a family to feed; that'll teach him to pay closer attention to Little League games! I don't want a correction ... cut something off of him! And while we're at it, my paper always comes late on Fridays. And it's always wet, rain or shine, and it's in the bushes every morning. And my cat peed on it last week so I want a refund. I want it on my front porch, with a cup of coffee, at 7:03, so it's there when I get up at 10. HOT coffee. And you guys don't run Tank McNamara anymore so I'm canceling my subscription.

Did I leave any out? :)

9. You left out that he obviously hates this little league team because he played for a rival one and he cost your kid a scholarship. And the kid's contemplating suicide because they are making fun of him at school.

10. I once called Brett Butler a middle infielder. How I did this, I do not know.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

My achilles heel is younger brothers/sisters of athletes I've previously covered. I frequently call them by the older kid's name.

Also, there was a kid named Matt Hunt. I renamed him Mike. The dad had a sense of humor about it, but rightfully jabbed the needle. Deep.

12. hankschu

hankschu Member

Mark McGwire became Mike McGwire in my 1987 All-Star Game story because I had a friend named Mike McGuire.

Draft saved Draft deleted