1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forget the creative genius; The Daily Show ticked me off tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Sep 3, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Satire is always going to skewer those in power more than those who aren't.

But they'll fire at anyone.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=87456&title=pussy-party

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

So they rip on Dems every 1 yeah, 4 months?
    I know that's an exaggeration, but come on. Watch the show from tonight and tell me it wasn't way too over the top.

3. Giggity

Giggity Member

Link?

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1998558/

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because, influence or no, TDS/Colbert aren't attempting to be legitimate news shows. That's not the goal. FNC purports to be an accurate news source without bias. Comedy Central, left-leaning though it may be, has never made that claim. The expectations are quite different.

And the fact is, TDS/Colbert do make good points while garnering ratings. That's the hidden value in what is actually comedy -- just like SNL used to be with Weekend Update. But if you're expecting TDS/Colbert to elevate the discourse just because some people take them more seriously than they take themselves ... you've got another think coming. I don't think they owe that to their viewers, and I don't think viewers are allowed to be disappointed if, well, it's just comedy.

Sorry, not seeing it. They rip on the Dems plenty. But as was previously mentioned, the party in power is always, always going to be ripped on more than the minority. And the fact is, this GOP administration has given them plenty of material to work with. Maybe you should direct your anger there.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess I feel bad for the GOPers who were trying to be friendly and accommodating to The Daily Show, not knowing that their interviews would be edited in a way that makes them look insensitive to hurricane victims. It doesn't matter if its FOX interviewing protesters or The Daily Show doing a bit, you should be straightforward with interview subjects about the nature or what your piece will be.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's Idiocracy, old man.

Now be quiet and take your electrolytes.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Sort of blaming the rooster for causing the sunrise here, are we not?

9. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Brawndo has what plants crave!

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

This whole thread should have ended right here. Sigh ...

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Poll young people - even journalism students - and you'll find that many see The Daily Show as their primary source of news. Some sell it as "well, the Daily Show DIRECTS people to find the real news!"

I don't think that's always true. The Daily Show doesn't necessarily lead people to say, "gee, I wonder what the real truth is behind that?"

But I wonder: is it the Daily Show's responsibility to do so, or is it there just to entertain? It's on Comedy Central, and people taking it as an authority on news is more a commentary on how twisted society's view of media is, than it is the fault of Jon Stewart.

spnited: I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Stewart has made the point repeatedly that for people to laugh at the jokes, they have to know what is going on.
    And that's very much true. You need a basic understanding of current events to get the jokes. So I don't see how people can claim that the Daily Show is their primary news source.

Draft saved Draft deleted