1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forget the creative genius; The Daily Show ticked me off tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Sep 3, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I know I'm going to catch a hell of a lot of flack for this, but I'll go ahead anyway.

Jon Stewart and Co. tonight took to task the GOP while in Minny East for the convention. I'm not going to say it wasn't entertaining -- because it was. But at times, I feel like this show goes too far. Here's why:

There's a good number of the uneducated base who take this show (and everything it says) as fact. And while, no, I don't believe we need to reduce ourselves to the lowest common denominator, I also feel that a show moonlighting as a news segment should do a little more than simply attack and attack and attack.

Tonight, that's all it did. It cracked some well-written jokes at the GOP without doing anything else.

There's a good number of the population who cannot accept that what Stewart et. al. say is not simply the way it is. Because of that, I found myself wondering why it was any better than Fox News.

My friends on here know that I make most Dems look like Ronald Reagan, so don't take this as a "GOP hates the Dems" argument.

Simply put, I believe things are never going to change if we base everything we do off ratings instead of actually making good points. Ninety percent of the viewers tonight were simply going to finish watching the show thinking either 1.) Jon Stewart just showed us how bad the GOP was or 2.) believe the show they just watched was a bunch of B.S.

Point being, even satire needs to not look like propaganda.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I haven't seen tonight's show, but I do agree with your central point: Just because it's funny doesn't mean it's not hateful and partisan. I love the show, but it's not exactly balanced. It does what it does, and it makes it obvious. But there's absolutely an agenda.

Colbert is successful by being more subtle. It pretends to be the other side so you'll conclude on your own that it's absurd. That's what makes it brilliant.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

This is The Daily Show on Comedy Central, right?

4. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I apologize that my response has absolutely nothing to do with your post, but, after watching the full video of your avatar, I can't read one of your posts anymore without looking at the avatar and laughing.

5. ArnoldBabar

If you don't recognize that its influence has gone well beyond that, you're not paying attention. Candidates, politicians, everyone goes on there because they know it's a huge audience on which they can have huge influence. You can't seriously equate it with some standup act.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

Nor can I read one of yours w/o thinking "Who's the master?"

Carry on.

7. Smasher_Sloan

It's not a news show.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

There are a lot of people who would argue that. And that's exactly my point. It's a mainstream (often VERY political) show. Do they not have an obligation to do more than:
    1.) Tie Republicans to Katrina damage.
    2.) Make fun of Republicans for that Katrina damage,
    and 3.) Make more fun of Republicans for that Katrina damage.

???

9. ArnoldBabar

Nor is a Micheal Moore movie or a Rush Limbaugh rant, but influence is the issue. Saying Comedy Central has "comedy" in the name is like saying Fox News Channel has "news" in the name. The function they serve is what matters. You can't reasonably deny that.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

The fact that Comedy Central has a huge influence makes me believe this country is fucking doomed.
    Too many morons who don't understand that this is COMEDY, not fact.

We elect bad people to high offices because too many people get all their information from shitheads like Stewart, Colbert, Olberman, Limbaugh, Hannity, etc. and aren't intelligent enough to undersatnd what the real issues are and what the people running for office really stand for.

The dumbing down of America has reached a crucial and perhaps fatal point.

11. Smasher_Sloan

'Influence" is the choice made by the viewer, not by the people who produce the show.

If people get their news from a comedy show, it's their problem.

The Daily Show is designed to make people laugh. That's their job, to get laughs.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

I agree completely smasher. What scares me is that so many people in this country do not understand that and are influenced by this stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted