1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forget clothes, let's talk watches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You're not, Inks. Guilty as charged.

I'm not a snob about many things, but if there is a material item I'm anal about, this is the one. Got that from my dad, who worked in the business for years. I refuse to wear a Timex, Fossil, Casio or any of those types.

My one goal on Jeopardy was to win enough money to buy myself a Rolex. I've always wanted one. I was going to have the back face engraved with my name, date and how many shows I won. Then, I had to go and blow chunks on the Final Jeopardy question.

Bye, bye Rolex... for now. My Seiko Chronograph and 20-year-old Bulova Accutron will have to suffice in the meantime.

My dad told me a story that makes me sick hearing it. He and my uncle owned a pawn shop for 44 years. One day, a guy came in and pawned a Patek Phillipe, a Swiss watch considered one of the best in the world. It's a watch that if you can find one under 10 grand, you've discovered the watch version of a Spanish galleon.

This was early in their business, so they were short on money. So about six months later, my dad sold the watch for about 50% more than he paid for it -- or about $350.

Birdscribe wept.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Holy crap, a PP for $350!?! I'd have a heart attack if I ever saw one in pawn shop that cheap.

I wear an Ironman when I'm in the woods or at the lake. Hell, I sleep in it most nights so the alarm function will wake me up.

I'm looking at a Seiko Chronograph right now. I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger or wait for a Tag.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Here is my next watch:

[​IMG]

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Nothing wrong with Seiko's; they're good watches. But if you've got a watch fetish, wait for the Tag.

I saw a Tag I was intrigued by, but not intrigued enough to pull a $1,770 trigger on. I may scope out Costco and see what they have.

And the story on the Patek? Even if we've got to go in the wayback machine to the middle 1960s, I've heard the story twice and felt like crying both times.

5. I own a couple of Fossil watches and a few Vestal watches. Here is the next watch I will be purchasing [in the next month]:

[​IMG]

I generally spend between $100-$250 per watch. I've never bought a watch online as I'm not sure where to get a good deal aside from eBay...and there I'd be afraid of buying a counterfeit watch.
    I saw some Fender guitar watches recently that were cool looking. They reminded me of some of the old Hamilton designs. Speaking of...the Hamilton "Ventura" is one of my dream watches. The other I hope to own before I die is a Tag Heuer "Monaco" watch.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

If you like automatics, find a Seiko 5. They come in umpteen styles. They're not officially sold in the U.S., but you can find them on eBay or numerous Interweb stores. They're quite nice, and relatively inexpensive -- I wear one that was less than $50, including shipping from Singapore.

7. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

As i said earlier, I am a watch whore and Boom, that's the coolest looking thng ever. I see it says "special forces" on it but I don't see who makes it.

I am aware of what a dork I am.

Also, does it provide 8 ways to kill a man?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mira

Mira Member

I have a couple Gucci watches which I've had for years. They take a licking and keep on ticking. I also have an Invicta.

I aspire to own a Tag (preferably with diamonds) at some juncture.

I don't wear a ton of jewelry, but I constantly look at my wrist and if my watch ain't there, it irritates me to no end.

9. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

I'm also a big fan of the clip-to-the-belt loop watch, mostly because something in the metal of most watches makes my wrist break out. I've got a Mickey Mouse one on now.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think that watch Boom posted is a Luminox. http://luminox.800rpm.com/index.php?/site/catalog

Bird, I've got an older Seiko that belonged to my father. He gave me a set of Pings when he got a new set. I was playing my first 18 with them and found the watch in one of the pockets. I called Dad and told him about it. His reaction was "I thought I'd lost it, so I bought a new watch. Keep it if you want it."

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Ace, you have been the person that I have been looking for.....would ten bucks do?

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I'm also a big fan of watches, ...although I don't have the money for what I'd truly want! Right now I have 2 Tissots, I'm a big fan of their brand. Swiss, good prices and sturdy.

Draft saved Draft deleted