1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forget clothes, let's talk watches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 13, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I have four or five Swatch watches, including several Olympic-themed ones. I'm wearing this one right now:

[​IMG]

I used to wear Nike watches, but they kept breaking on me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I own and love this one:

http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=29579&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=957&iSubCat=966&iProductID=29579

It's my second Fossil.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am a watch lover. I don't want my house to get robbed, so I won't list the ones I have.

Right now, I'm lusting after a rose gold Cartier Roadster and a 40s era Rolex bubbleback.

Someday...

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I am a watch whore. I change them about once every 6 months. But I am a cheap, cheap watch whore. I never saw the point of paying a lot of money for a watch that does exactly the same thing as a cheap one does. So I never spend more than about 20 dollars. And my wants change fairly frequently. Currently, I am wearing a digital and analog combo watch (10 dollars @ Wally world) it replaced a big heavy silver looking one (22 dollars @ the same Wal-mart).

I have had calculator watches, heart rate watches and have even looked at a pocket watch (didn't buy).

Having said all that, Costco or Sams Club are probably best for a better than 10 buck timepiece.

5. accguy

accguy Member

Again, Costco rules. I got a really nice titanium Skagen there that was normally $130 or something for $60 bucks. I used to rotate a couple, but this is the one now.

I did once get a square (ok, rectangle) Kenneth Cole watch at an Off 5th outlet mall when I was covering something in Miami. That was a good one for 40 or 50 bucks.

Sometimes you can find nice watches at good prices at Marshall's or TJ Maxx.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I wear an Esquire that my wife bought me as a wedding present. Easily the nicest watch I've ever owned.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i haven't worn a watch in years. too many others ways to know what time it is without the distraction on the wrist.

8. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

I rarely wear watches - not too long ago my mom took back a Gucci watch she gave me a few years ago - but on my last jaunt to NYC I hit the Swatch store in Times Square (yeah, I'm a tourist but also a child of the 80s) and bought a watch with a gorgeous chrome band and a Jelly Fish timepiece. Fashionable and a bit retro ... also, I was intrigued by all the 80s repros the Swatch store had. Good stuff.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

For about 10 years, my signature watch was a swatch with no numbers on it. I also wore a digital watch; one was always five minutes fast. People used to ask me why I wore two watches and I told them so I knew what time it was.

I swear I had never heard of Flavor Flav at that point.

10. I absolutely second this. I bought a $300 Calibre for $70. I'll be buying another watch after Christmas, unless my Finance gets me one.

11. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Inky, may I suggest this watch?

[​IMG]

Your father gave it to me when we were captured in that Hanoi pit of hell together. The way he saw it, this watch was your birthright. So he hid it the only place he could think of: Up his ass. For three years, he hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up his ass. Then, when he died of dysentery, he gave this watch to me. I hid the watch up my ass before getting released. And now, Inky, I present this watch to you.

12. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Excellent post.

Personally, I wear a clip-to-the-belt-loop Dakota, of mall kiosk fame. I've been wearing them for years. Very utilitarian, and I'm just not a big fan of the wristwatch. I sort of plan to move to the classier pocketwatch someday. But we'll see.

Draft saved Draft deleted