1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forget clothes, let's talk watches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have a little bit of a watch fetish. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

I've got eight of them. From a Timex Ironman to some nice vintage watches that I only wear on special occasions. But I'm getting that urge to buy another one, so aside from eBay what are some of the Web site where I can score the best deal?

2. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Since I only own one watch (that I wear, at least), I can't help you find great deals. But I can say I love my watch. It's a Fossil, and it's great.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Make me an offer. They're all genuine.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The only watch I've had since elementary school (one of those awesome calculator watches Screech wore) was a gift from my girlfriend in high school. It took a ride in the washer seven years ago, and I haven't purchased another since then.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've never worn watches. Never saw the need, especially with cell phones. I always have my phone with me, so I always know what time it is.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are some Plain-Dealer staffers who might need a couple ...

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Where do you think I got these?

I figure if they don't know what time it is and miss deadline often enough there may be a opening or two on the staff.

Capiche?

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Ah, now I get it.

Did you throw one to Phil Savage while you're in the area? His time is probably running short.

9. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Overstock.com

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I have one wrist watch. It's my heart-rate monitor and I rarely wear it outside the gym or when not on the bike. I'm a traditional guy and like leather bands and simple faces but I haven't worn a watch for a couple of years. I loathe digital watches and won't wear one unless it's the forementioned HRM.

Nowadays, my cell phone is my watch.

Not much help to you on this thread, I guess. But then again, when is SportsJournalists.com restricted to only helpful posts?

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Inky, I've always had that, too. I lean toward big, heavy watches. When I grow up (or when I have more money than I need) I'm getting an Omega ... Anyhow, like the clothes thread, this one leads to Costco and BJs. There's a pretty good selection on Overstock.com. If you don't mind it being used, I've seen some intersting stuff on craigslist.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My everyday watch is a Hamilton Khaki quartz watch that I bought on overstock.com for $80 (list $245). I also have two mechanical (windup) watches, an ooooollllllld Timex and some cheap Russian-made thing that I bought online from Vermont Country Store. The windups are basically there if the Hamilton needs a repair or the battery dies, one in the car and one at home.

Watch snobs dislike quartz watches, preferring mechanicals of the windup or automatic variety. I am not a watch snob -- I'd like a Hamilton automatic, but not so much that I'd spend $400 for one. I wore Timex almost all my life until I bought the Hamilton, taking about a five-year break to wear a Swiss Army watch that my wife gave me. I like simple-looking watches, not something that draws attention.

Draft saved Draft deleted