1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forget clothes, let's talk watches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have a little bit of a watch fetish. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

I've got eight of them. From a Timex Ironman to some nice vintage watches that I only wear on special occasions. But I'm getting that urge to buy another one, so aside from eBay what are some of the Web site where I can score the best deal?
  2. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Since I only own one watch (that I wear, at least), I can't help you find great deals. But I can say I love my watch. It's a Fossil, and it's great.
  3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Make me an offer. They're all genuine.
  4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The only watch I've had since elementary school (one of those awesome calculator watches Screech wore) was a gift from my girlfriend in high school. It took a ride in the washer seven years ago, and I haven't purchased another since then.
  5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've never worn watches. Never saw the need, especially with cell phones. I always have my phone with me, so I always know what time it is.
  6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

I'm sure there are some Plain-Dealer staffers who might need a couple ...
  7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Where do you think I got these?

I figure if they don't know what time it is and miss deadline often enough there may be a opening or two on the staff.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

Ah, now I get it.

Did you throw one to Phil Savage while you're in the area? His time is probably running short.
  9. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I have one wrist watch. It's my heart-rate monitor and I rarely wear it outside the gym or when not on the bike. I'm a traditional guy and like leather bands and simple faces but I haven't worn a watch for a couple of years. I loathe digital watches and won't wear one unless it's the forementioned HRM.

Nowadays, my cell phone is my watch.

Not much help to you on this thread, I guess. But then again, when is SportsJournalists.com restricted to only helpful posts?
  11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Inky, I've always had that, too. I lean toward big, heavy watches. When I grow up (or when I have more money than I need) I'm getting an Omega ... Anyhow, like the clothes thread, this one leads to Costco and BJs. There's a pretty good selection on Overstock.com. If you don't mind it being used, I've seen some intersting stuff on craigslist.
  12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

My everyday watch is a Hamilton Khaki quartz watch that I bought on overstock.com for $80 (list $245). I also have two mechanical (windup) watches, an ooooollllllld Timex and some cheap Russian-made thing that I bought online from Vermont Country Store. The windups are basically there if the Hamilton needs a repair or the battery dies, one in the car and one at home.

Watch snobs dislike quartz watches, preferring mechanicals of the windup or automatic variety. I am not a watch snob -- I'd like a Hamilton automatic, but not so much that I'd spend $400 for one. I wore Timex almost all my life until I bought the Hamilton, taking about a five-year break to wear a Swiss Army watch that my wife gave me. I like simple-looking watches, not something that draws attention.
Draft saved Draft deleted