1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forget bad beats ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 27, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The rub about no limit is that you always know what you would've had. At the same time, you're not going to win crap in the long run playing j-3 offsuit. You just have to shake it off and move on.

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

The donkeys will throw a fit if they throw a winner, even if it was the right play.

If I have 4-4.....flop comes out 9, K, Q......I paid to see a flop to see if I could hit my set.....if I don't hit it, and people start betting into that.....I'm getting rid of that.....so, even if running 4's come out that WOULD have given me quads....I'm not going to roll over my stack for a small pair.

Best hand I ever folded: Get 4-4.....flop comes 3-4-5. 2 calls and a raise in front.....and I muck it.....would have been for roughly $80 cash....I knew, knew, knew someone had A2, and that unless I pair the board or catch the whale, I was no good.

I mucked it....guy goes all-in and gets called by a guy with 5-3, and sure as shit..had A2.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I'm learning to just laugh at throwing away garbage cards that would've been winners.

Other day, first hand Amateur league I play in, Fold J-4 off suit. Flop J-J-X . Turn blank. River J

Would've had my first quad hand ... I just laughed.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Just heard about one online.

Guy gets QQ, one other gets Kc,10c....other gets AA

flop comes Qc,9h,Ad.....set of queens, straight draw, set of aces

turn.....jc......so, still set of queens, royal flush draw.....set of aces.

river...ac.....so, queens full, ROYAL FREAKING FLUSH.....4 ACES.

How sick is that?

5. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Hope he was on the site offering the bad beat jackpots because that would qualify I think.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

What I wouldn't give to be holding either one of those sets at a table with a bad-beat jackpot.

That's why -- if you're holding the set of Aces -- you bet the farm before the river and make the guy with the royal draw bite off a huge matzah ball to see the river.

And Hustle, don't beat yourself up over making the right play. You'll make yourself insane doing that. I can't tell you how many times I've folded garbage -- or even a marginal hand that I may have played in the BB or button -- and seen what would have been a monster.

The most recent was folding A-4offsuit in the cutoff seat (one before the button). I'm not one for playing non-suited Aces unless it's 1) late in a tournament; 2) I'm in one of the blinds, or 3) I've isolated one player, so I chucked them.

Naturally, the flop comes 4-4-4. All I could do was laugh.

7. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I think if you folded cards that would have made a royal, you're allowed to say something.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes... although there's a difference between folding Kc-10c and having a straight, flush and royal draw and folding J-3 or A-4 off.

9. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I'm hoping AAA and QQQ bet the flop, because if K10 saw the turn, no amount of money would push him away from the pot.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Hell no. The guy with K-10 is going nowhere even after the flop, so long as no one pushes all-in after the flop.

If he puts one of the two on the set (doubt he puts both on a set, but even so) he's got double guts, and if he hits, he's probably good. After the turn....shit, guy with K-10 has half the deck.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I couple of years back, I came into some unexpected cash (a bunch of us invested a couple of grand each in a restaurant and it was bought out by the majority owner for double the purchase price) and decided after a celebration dinner to hit a poker club in Manhattan. Having a few too many drinks in me, I sat down at a 4-8 NL table with a $1,000 in front of me -- way, way more than I ever bet.

Within the first 15 minutes I folded to a couple of reraises and then saw 10-10 in front of me one off the button. Folded to me. I raise and get 1 caller from the SB. Flop came A-10-10. Score. SB bets the pot and I call. Turn is a 5, no flush draw. He checks and I check. It's a rag. He then goes all in for my last $800. Through heavy eyes, I stare at the board for what seemed like 5 minutes (but probably was 15 seconds) and don't see how I can lose. Call. He has A-A.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

I will assume he didn't catch the 4th ace on the river?

Draft saved Draft deleted