1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forget bad beats ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Aug 27, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Do you have that guy's phone number? I'd like to invite him over to play at my house or make a trip to the cardroom with me.
    A suited flop after the big blind got in for a check and KK goes all-in?
    I want that guy around me, all the time.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

fixed.

Good Heavens.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, amount around me as in at the table, but a broader meaning would work too.
    It would give an excuse to play cards more often.

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Just got back from a 3-6 limit table while killing time on the road.

Down to my last 17 after having aces cracked by a pair of sixes, never mind that story. QJ off suit in the big blind, raised with four callers, might as well throw another three in there since the pot odds were good (7-1) and some of the plays were just horrible. J-x-x flop, bet out, raise, one caller and myself. Ace on the turn, I put my last five in call, both call. Queen on the river, the small blind bets out into a dry side pot and is called. The SB had an Ace-rag, the initial raiser had Q-x and the river let me triple up.

About 10 hands later, get K-K in fourth position make the third raise, get three callers (including the guy who cracked my aces), flop comes A-x-x, bet out get raised, two fold and I call. At this point I'm thinking he could have anything because that's how he's been playing (raising with low pair on the board) so I still could be good. 4 comes off on the turn, I just check and call. King on the river, I bet out he calls for his last five. The 4 gave him aces up so the king saved me.

It was total suckout for sure, but that was a good time to hit it. That's part of why I hate playing limit. You can't protect your good hands (like the aces and the kings early). Against a healthy no-limit raise, not neccessarily all-in, but 3x the pot there's no way he can call with two pair and no way I can call once he makes it and bets a healthy bet. But six bucks into a 70 dollar pot, why not call on the turn.

(And with that, I'm now a Jr. member)

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Limit is a different animal.
    I stick to $1-3 no limit.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Like I said, amateur poker league.

8. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Fuckin' amatuers dude.

9. Joel_Goodsen

Joel_Goodsen Member

Played $3-$6 tonight -- Straddled (just because I do that some times to generate a pot especially in a tight game) it was raised to $9 by the guy to my left and a bunch of callers come in, I look down and have A-A, I make it $12, flop comes A-K-rag with two spades, guy in small blind bets, I raise to $6 about three others call. Turn is a rag, dude bets $6 again, I raise to $12 one other caller, dude reraises to $18, I cap at $24, other dude folds and small blind calls. River is the 10 of spades, completing not only the straight but also the flush (dude who folded on fourth street pounds table, no information their LOL). Now small blind bets the $6 again, I think about it and then raise him and he calls and he turns over K-K.

I took down a monster (for 3-6) and more importantly, my A-A held up and did so because I bet it correctly and got the guy on the straight draws to fold his hand.

It seems rare that big pairs hold up in limit, but when they do it sure is fun.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Digging this thread out of the trash to probe the minds of those who know the game a lot better than me (and I know it's, uh, most of you):

How do you deal with seeing your cards come up after you've folded?

Like just now in an online limit tourney. I've got the SB. Most of the action folds around to the guy to my right, who raises. I'm sitting there with J-3 offsuit; no way I should call.

So I bet you know where this is going... Flop is X-3-3. Turn is a blank. River is a J.

The rest of the hands weren't stellar; I would've won rather easily.

I go back and forth; I got pissed, but then I think shit, I didn't have any business calling a pre-flop raise with that garbage anyway.

Should that be any sort of relief to me, that I played right but lost out on a pot?

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Never, ever, ever do this. Keep yourself occupied any other way. Listen to music. I watch the other players and try to guess their hands. It's more productive than regretting the fold of J3. Laugh at the hand, then laugh at the fuckers who say they folded J3.

In the long run, playing J3 will sink you. Unless you're a master of the game. And you've already admitted you aren't.

I'm going to say this again. Never ever regret folding a hand. Never. Ever.

Never.

12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Poker is about the only game where you can play correctly every time and still not win.

Keep playing hands the right way and it will better than even out for you.

Draft saved Draft deleted