1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foreign service exam question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Oct 30, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Anyone here ever take the foreign service exam?
    A friend of mine asked for help on the test, on the communications and media portion, and I was at a loss.
    I started doing some googling, and it looks very interesting.
    The State Department says one of the best ways to prepare is to read a good daily newspaper eevry day.
    So I was just curious.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I have not taken it, but plan to in about three years in preparation for a new career.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know somebody who took it. Probably the smartest person his age I've ever known. He didn't pass.

That thing is no joke.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You have to know a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff.

I took it in 1992. A lot of obscure questions about American culture. That was long before I entered the journalistic field. I think being a journalist would help a bit.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Just cheat.

It worked for Emmett Fitz-Hume and Austin Millbarge.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I started filling out the application for it over the summer. Never finished.

It seems like an intimidating process and I'm, quite frankly, not completely sold on our country's foreign policy.

7. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I knew a guy who took and passed the test about 25 years ago. I just Googled him. He's now the public affairs officer for an embassy in Europe.

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I took this test a while ago when I lived in Florida. When I showed up to take it, a lot of the people who were waiting to go into the room seemed to know each other. I soon learned that they had all taken the test SEVERAL times before. It was really tough. I ended up passing all the sections except math but soon after that decided against going down that career path. I probably could have actually studied the next time and gone in and passed but believe me, I test well and that thing was damn hard.

Draft saved Draft deleted