1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foreign films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jul 6, 2008.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We watched Hable con ella (Talk To Her) in today's class, a weird, but interesting Spanish flick about two guys who become friends while watching over their girlfriends, both of which are in comas.

Key plot words, according to imdb include Bare butt, Female full frontal nudity and Coma rape.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Even though my favorite "foreign films" are Monty Python movies (and somehow, I don't think they'd be approved), I would recommend:

Maria, Full of Grace, which is an excellent Spanish film about the Colombian drug trade. Excellent movie. The lead actress in it even got nominated for an Oscar.

Como agua para chocolate, which is another Spanish film that says a lot about the social systems in Hispanic countries (basically, the youngest daughter falls in love with a guy but her mother forces her to stay home and care for her because the older siblings aren't married yet).

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Better known as Like Water for Chocolate.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

"Life is Beautiful" is an absolutely amazing story. Love that flick. Tough to watch at times but well worth it.

I believe I'll be the fifth to recommend "City of God." Also in my top 15.

5. Wenders

I was watching it for a Spanish class. It's even listed on IMDb.com as Como agua para chocolate. :p

6. dooley_womack1

You may curse me in whatever language.

7. Wenders

What all languages do you know? I like being able to confuse people.

8. dooley_womack1

Anything other than Spanish, color me confused.

9. Wenders

I know a smattering of French and my former roommate taught me some Japanese, but just enough so I know how to call you a stupidhead. That's about it. If I had stayed in Texas through high school, I'm sure I would have picked up all the slang cuss words that I would ever need to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted