1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Foreign films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jul 6, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Don't know if it was mentioned yet, but Tin Drum was one fascinating and disturbing film.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Run Lola Run, from Germany. Hot redhead as the lead, and a great tale about interconnectedness and the small margin of fate.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Rent Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. Then rent The Magnificent Seven.

Write a short paper on how a classic film about the Japanese feudal warrior class became a classic American western.

Bing. Bang. Boom.

4. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'd third (or fourth, whatever it is) City of God. Great movie. You could also consider some Kurisawa, like "The Seven Samurai." (and, jgmacg just edged me out on this one)

Two of my favorite foreign films, "Das Boot" and "Hope and Glory," don't really lend themselves to something like your paper. If you have to do the same for a WWII movie, I'd recommend "Das Boot."

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

You could also rent Kurosawa's Rashomon and then track down the number of times that showing the same story from multiple points of view has become an institution of itself. Hell, it's been used in almost everything, even an ep of The Simpsons.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Blue/White/Red is a trilogy of French films from a Polish director (gotta love it). Each has references to the others but stands alone with no problem. Red is the knockout and can be easily be tied in to current issues with surveillance, etc.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Also, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul. Middle-aged German woman falls in love with Muslim immigrant. Many possible paper topics: friction between the West and Arabs, immigration issues, and more.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Does "Hope And Glory" coming from England make it a "foreign film"?
    Awesome movie, but I don't think that's really the spirit of the assignment.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Old-school: Jules and Jim.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

"Thank you, Adolf!" is one of the great closing lines ever.

I don't think you can deny that WWII Blitz culture in London-English countryside is markedly different from ours. Remember, the English and Americans are two great people separated by a common language. If the assignment was for a foreign language film, I'd agree, but foreign is foreign.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Run Lola Run is on the list of films we're watching in class.

Thank you guys/gals for the great suggestions.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Heck, if the journo thing goes sour, maybe I will teach a film class.

And buckdub uber alles

Draft saved Draft deleted