1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please: The 2021 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I think anyone one Pantone south of Montgomery Burns gets an eyebrow raised.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Yes

Scout likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That 65 by Rose today is the most impressive 1st round I can recall at the Masters; that course was tough, the greens were already baked and there were all sorts of funky pin positions and he played it like the course had just gotten a soaking overnight. 4 shots clear of anyone else. Hats off Mr. Rose. Now lets see how he backs it up.

Alma likes this.
  4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If that. If he screws up his back badly enough, even that could be too much.

5. Splendid Splinter

Splendid Splinter Well-Known Member

Love the sport, but it's dumb at times.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It ought to be simple. If a player commits a rules violation and it is not called on the spot by an official, it didn't happen. There are too fucking many rules of golf as it is.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wonder who called that in -- someone on Twitter from the couch or is an official watching all the feeds? And yeah, sucks that sometimes you've got the camera right on you for an unintentional thing, while at other times Patrick Reed is building scaffolding in the rough and there's no camera on top of him.

Helluva first day. Saw where Rose now has four first-round leads at the Masters, tying Nicklaus. Bet that was a nice payday for some investors.

DeChambeau needs to treat the Masters like it's the John Deere. Just go play and spare the world your buildup.

Alma likes this.
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I've already heard about some grousing over Ancer's penalty, but two things:
    1) How many players would gladly try getting away with that to get a gauge of the club going through the bunker ... i.e., consistency of the sand, which affects how one would play any bunker shot and ...
    2) After Patrick Reed's numerous transgressions, we can't suddenly not hold others accountable. Not saying Ancer was trying to flaunt the rules, but most others aren't trying to do so, either. Still a penalty.

The only issue I have with Justin Rose is he's now the greatest player in Tour history with the surname "Rose." Think pretty highly of the last one ... and the fact that he and I have the same hometown is only part of the equation.

Bingo on DeChambeau. Shut up and play. That way, explaining away an 80 is a little easier ...

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Missed the live action, so catching the encore. Great to hear Steamboat's Uncle Verne still on 16. Guessing he's just doing 16 and No. 6 as in years past.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Also, that's a hell of a round for Spieth to shoot 71 with a triple on 9 and playing in the last group. These greens are on the Shinnecock edge.

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Jason Kokrak has had pretty good form leading up to the Masters and he's -1 on the first day. Going to be a tall order to reel in Rose, but what a great story he would be.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Pretty sure I followed Clarence Rose for 18 holes as a kid one time when the Tour came through Atlanta. I remember the guys in distinctive hats.

Draft saved Draft deleted