1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please! Running Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 7, 2013.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A bunch; I would have broken 95, but probably just barely.

I didn't get to finish because I'm too nice a guy. A fellow from Spain had also won a slot, but he was going to miss his ride to Atlanta. Someone knew I was going through there and put him in touch with me. I told him he could hitch with me. Trouble was, a storm came through that afternoon and we had to head in for a while. It was getting dicey w/regard to his flight -- I had nowhere to be, but I had made the promise. So, I never got to tee off on 16. Coulda told him eff you, this is Augusta, but that's not how I roll.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Andy North has his top ten shots in Masters history: Bubba is No. 2

http://espn.go.com/golf/blog/_/name/golf/id/9150790/top-10-shots-masters-history-no-2-bubba-watson-wedge-woods-clinches-2012-masters-golf

I'm not disagreeing with No. 2. As much as I did not root for Phil, that shot from the pine straw in '10 was freakin' amazing to me.

No. 1 has to be Mize's chip to beat the Shark.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Shooting a 95 at Augusta ain't horrible, even for 15 holes, for many of us lay persons.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Agreed. 1987 sudden-death playoff at the 11th hole.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Rory is playing the Par 3 with Wozniaki as his caddy; glad to see they're still together.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Most surprising Masters champions of the past 40 years?

I'd go (1) Larry Mize, 1987, (2) Zach Johnson, 2007, (3) Charl Schwartzel, 2011, (4) Fuzzy Zoeller, 1979, (5) Tommy Aaron, 1973.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You forgot Weir and Immelman; I'd say they're more surprising than Schwartzel (4 birdies!!, damn); O'Meara as well (1998 what a year).

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tiger's chip-in on 16 is No. 5? Weak.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Okay, Rory's living my dream life, hanging with an athlete:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Weir had won and been in contention a few other times prior to Augusta, so he wasn't a total unknown. I figured he was going to win a major; just didn't think he had the length off the tee to win Augusta. I initially put Immelman on the list, but he had been a Ryder Cup member and Top 20 player, so not a total shot out of the blue like a couple of the others.

But, hey, this is the charm about golf. 93 guys tee it up Thursday morning and at least 30 --- probably more --- can legitimately think of winning the thing.

11. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

So which Ryder Cup did South African-born Trevor Immelman play in? Gary Player and Ernie Els are going to be pissed when they hear this news.

12. Think Rory's the only player on Tour who shagged his caddy?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted