1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please! Running Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 7, 2013.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

You'll be looking for a while. Augusta is where America's sportswriters go to check their ethics at the schoolhouse /clubhouse door.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That was what was befuddling, you've got a wedge and you can't get it close? I mean you're the 2nd GREATEST EVER and you cannot do what Dickie Pride can still do? Tiger's at least got that under control this year.

The other thing I cannot figure out about Tiger is how much trouble he has with the driver when journeymen, say DA Points can stripe it 300 70% of the time.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Tiger (and Phil) won't pay as much of a penalty for errant drives there as they will at a US Open. Tiger's driving was only mediocre at Bay Hill; his irons and putting were awesome. Can he get away with it there? Maybe.

It certainly would not shock me to see him win, but he's not the prohibitive favorite he was in 2002 or 2005. If you give me Tiger vs. the field this week, I'll take the field.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I got to play in 1988 ... I still grieve about my ethical lapse [/bluefont]

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is absolutely nothing professionally ethically wrong with accepting an invitation to play a private golf course. If the invitee feels very strongly about a club's admission policies, etc., he or she should decline with thanks, but that's personal.
    I went to two Masters, and didn't enter the press lottery either time. Not because I thought it was wrong, but because I knew I'd feel so super self-conscious about my lousy golf game in those circumstances I wouldn't enjoy myself. As a sportswriter and since, I have been fortunate enough to be invited by members to play some very private and distinguished courses all by myself out of family ties and friendships, and in those cases, I did enjoy myself except for the sucking at golf.
    The whole ethos of golf as a sport, for good or ill, is that everybody's in it together -- press included. Complaining about golf being clubby is like complaining about college sports being corrupt. It's as useless as shouting at clouds.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good point.

And I know it's not the same as no-blade-of-grass-out-of-place Augusta, but other PGA events let journalists play the course, too.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What did you shoot?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK. You'd need to show me how to do that, though. But I'll take the field this week.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

bet. Tiger wins by 4.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm not gonna go that far, but the Lords of Augusta aren't unaware of what a little hospitality does. They take care of the media so effing well in terms of working conditions, so perhaps the media's edge is a little dulled at the door. Compare that to, say, the NCAA with their Cup Police and nickel-and-dime internet charges. Human nature.

Draft saved Draft deleted