1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please! Running Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

CBS will have wet dreams if Tiger, Freddy, Bubba, Phil and McIlroy all are in contention.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nantzy?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Conversely, if he doesn't win, he'll never win another major again! (or some stories will say)

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

So tickets for tomorrow's practice round are going for $924 each. I have a pair and am about to board a plane for Augusta. On the horns of a dilemma here.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If he wins, it might be the biggest golf story, ever. Jack in 86 might be a bigger story, but not by much.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think another key is accuracy with your approach shots, putting the ball in the right place on the greens so you have makeable putts. Of course, the guys who really bomb it off the tee have an edge because they can hit short irons and wedges into the greens.

The fairways are so wide and the rough so minimal that it makes it a totally different kind of test than, say, a U.S. Open.

Keegan Bradley is my darkhorse pick this week. But I wouldn't count out a guy like Steve Stricker, who putts better than most.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Anyone who pays $900 to see what a golf course looks like is beyond my ability to define "idiocy." You want to see what azaleas in bloom look like? Walking into Lowe's is free.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He's the favorite, for crying out loud.

Jack in '86, Roberto De Vicenzo ("What a stupid I am") are and always will be far ahead of anything Tiger could do on Sunday, short of shooting a 59.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree with BTE. Woods' 19th major win would be the biggest story ever, not his 15th.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think major 19 would be the only thing that could ever match Nicklaus '86/Tiger '97.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, the thing about Nicklaus in 86 was no one was expecting it. People pretty much assumed that, at age 46, Jack would never win another major.

The idea of Tiger winning this week, or next year, is not far-fetched at all. I don't know if he's the favorite, but he's No. 1 in the world rankings and has won three times this year already. So no one would be shocked if he won.

The comparison to Nicklaus in 86 that comes to mind was Tom Watson nearly winning The Open at age 59 in 2009. Now that would have been mind-boggling.

12. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Who the fuck is the favorite if not him?

He's the favorite by the length of decent sized Par 4 this year. If he comes out an goes 69-68, you can get the tailor to measure him on the first tee on Saturday. He ain't collapsing like he did at Olympic when he couldn't hit the green with a wedge more than 50 percent of the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted