1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore please: Azaleas, dogwoods and foliage, the 2020 Masters thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Nov 8, 2020.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

You don't play against other players. You play against the course, no matter the condition. Twenty-under is twenty-under, just like Eldrick's 10 on that par 3 is a 10, regardless of the course conditions.

2. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

The scores “indicate” the difficulty of the course for this four days, my friend.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You play against the course. What was the course doing to the other players when Tiger put up his 20?

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why is there an asterisk when the conditions are the same for all players (well essentially, except for the first two rounds where yeah luck of the draw matters)?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Dustin Johnson doesn't have to apologize for his green jacket, whether the tournament was in April or November, or whether he won at 2o-under or 1-over.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. Johnson has no say in how the other guys play.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If it was just one player that would be right. But Tiger lapped the field in 97. If any player would have played twice as well as they did, they still would have lost

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Agreed. Course conditions are part of the random chance of golf which is an accepted part of the sport and always has been. Conditions last week were as favorable for Masters' scoring as possible, really. Johnson did the best job of capitalizing on said conditions. That's to his credit, not a demerit.

9. Jerry-atric

Jerry-atric Well-Known Member

No one is saying otherwise, my friend. Poster @Scout was merely remarking on the score, not the victory.

10. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Some years at the Open the wind is down for all four days and players go low. Some years it’s blowing sideways more often than not, and nobody freaks out either way.

I don’t put much stock in historic scoring records because there are too many variables.

I do think the hole location in Sunday was in part an attempt to defend par. That’s a tougher birdie than the traditional pin.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Hole 13 is probably the most iconic hole at Augusta (or 12) and I discussed with my buddy who went there for a practice round a few years go. I saw something on TV that showed how narrow that chute really is, from the pine straw to the trees on the left is like 15-20 yds. When guys rifle a draw, it looks so easy, but its not. Then that second shot, sure its "only" 180-200, but that sidehill lie is really tough, inducing a hook lie but then the green is actually bending the other way, left to right. What a golf hole.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Rory won at Congressional at 16 under and people freaked the fuck out about it. He got absolutely ideal weather condition -- cool and damp for June in D.C. -- and took advantage of soft greens all week. It happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted