1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore, please -- 78th Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Apr 6, 2014.

1. da man

da man Well-Known Member

OK, finally saw the highlights of Bubba at 14. He had to make a curling bomb for bird.

Gave a shot back on 18, but what a fun round.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Don't look now, but Jim Nantz's buddy Ferd Couples is 2 under through 8 today and 3 under for the tournament.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Scores are not nearly as low as I expected. Jon Senden is second at -4, but there are only 15 players under par. Someone has to go get Bubba tomorrow or it could be a boring Sunday.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We'll see. Speith in great position, methinks. Freddy has been here before but couldn't close the door. Brutal day/luck for Rory, though clutch putt on 18 to make the cut. Patrick Reed gets put in his place. Lots of big names miss the cut.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Most veteran Masters scribes say the crowds are much, much bigger now then a couple decades ago. Of course the club will never tell.

Gary Van Sickle wrote a fun piece for SI about what he'd do if he ran the tournament, among other things he said he'd cut attendance by 10,000 and get rid of all the cutesy kids from the par-3 contest.

6. MileHigh

Absolutely impressive performance by Jordan Spieth today. Only the third player to play in the Masters for the first time and have under-par rounds in the first three rounds. At this point, almost certainly in the final group tomorrow. We've seen some big blowups for first-timers in the last group of a major for the first time.

Huge fan of his game, his demeanor, his composure. Was already a big fan before this weekend. Hopefully, he'll keep it going tomorrow. Lots of moving today, as usual, on Saturday.

7. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

How weird is it I have more faith in Spieth's ability to stay cool Sunday than Watson?

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Shocked that 5-under is leading after 54 holes. We've seen a lot of guys (including Rory McIlroy) blow up on Sunday, so I wouldn't count out anyone at par or better. If I had to lay money on anyone, I'd take Watson.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Spieth might get beat, but he doesn't look like he's going to beat himself.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The marker who played alongside McIlroy beat him by a stroke Saturday.

http://espn.go.com/golf/masters14/story/_/id/10772607/2014-masters-rory-mcilroy-one-upped-marker-jeff-knox-third-round

11. MileHigh

Golf Channel had some recaps of his collapses this year on the weekend, including when he called himself a "mental midget" after a Match Play loss to Ernie Els.

I'll take Spieth tomorrow.* Think today was huge for him to hang in there. Very easy to get frustrated and upset going around Augusta, but he really kept it together today. Every couple of decades we get the youngest winner of the Masters. Got a feeling we'll see it tomorrow.

* Noted earlier -- huge fan and might be clouding the judgment, but like everything, we'll see.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I like Spieth, too. But I figure the odds are better that he shoots 79 than 69.

I don't know if it's just the law of averages and regressing to the mean. Or if it's the "holy crap, I'm in the final group at a major" phenomenon.

If Watson doesn't win, I really like Matt Kuchar's chances. After watching him tank the last two weeks, I figured he's shoot 8-over and miss the cut this week. But he's been very poised.

Draft saved Draft deleted