1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Isn't the Northern Trust (first playoff event) in Boston next year on a rotating basis?

2. Same with NASCAR and its Million dollar All-Star race. #STFU Darrell Waltrip.

maumann likes this.
  3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The First Tee has done more for youth development in both golf and academics than any other professional sports does. They've build thousands of facilities and academic centers while the NFL just tells kids "Play 60." (in other words, go outside and play and don't bug the grownups in the living room). And I'm not sure what you mean by being up front about it all year. They play for money in every tournament.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They're actually going to start caring because among other things Koepka has railed about, he said the magic words: slow play is turning fans off. The Tour knows it's not going to get NFL type ratings and they can't risk the 3-5 points they get for their big events. The fact that they said two weeks ago they're going to re-examine the policy is huge. Golf moves slowly, just like the pace of the game. Look how long it took Augusta to allow blacks to play and admit female members. It will happen, mainly because the two best players in the world, Koepka and McIlroy, are the ones ranting about slow play.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes. I believe it is supposed to rotate between NYC, Boston and Philly. So one tourney every three years for markets of a combined like 25 million people.
    In fairness I should add that metro NYC gets a major about once every other year or more because of Bethpage, Shinnecock, Winged Foot and Baltusrol.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll believe it when I see it. They might create some new fine structure or something but docking guys strokes is highly, highly unlikely -- or I should say, docking big-name guys in the hunt on Sunday. They'll pinch a no-name guy on a Thursday. Also unlikely they'll resort to an actual shot clock or anything else that messes with the aesthetic of an event.

Slow play isn't the reason why people turn off golf on TV. They turn it off because the televised product sucks.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Like a lot of national youth programs, The First Tee's quality varies widely from town to town. When we lived in St. Augustine, Florida, the elementary school had a First Tee program where a bus picked kids up after school, drove them to a muni for a couple hours of golf and life lessons, then drove them back. Spectacular program, though of course this was in the PGA Tour's home county. When we moved elsewhere, I realized how spoiled we were.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  8. MileHigh

The rotating majors (U.S. Open and PGA) are very East-centric. L.A. hasn't had a major since the 1995 PGA. The PGA hasn't been west of the Central time zone since 1998. The Open at least hits Pebble every 10 years or so and is starting to come West more often and the PGA will be doing the same in the future years.

It'd be nice if they rotated the Northern Trust and BMW playoff events a bit more to the west. The BMW was very well received at Cherry Hills a few years back, though it rained a lot that year.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

LA Country Club gets the Open in '21, right? You are correct that Colorado should get an annual Tour stop. But so should Massachusetts. So should the Pacific Northwest.

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

PGA is in SF in 2020.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The International at Castle Pines was one of the most popular spots on Tour.

12. MileHigh

Yes, the West Coast is getting more majors, but for a long time, that wasn't the case, certainly with the PGA.

U.S. Open is back at Torrey in 2021 then L.A. in 2023 and Pebble in 2027. Honestly, Pebble should be every five years like the British does with St. Andrews.

PGA ends a 22-year West Coast drought next year at Harding Park (and the Presidents Cup is there in 2025) and goes to Olympic in 2028 (as does the Ryder Cup in 2032) but nothing else west of the Central Time Zone through 2034.

I, too, miss the International down in Castle Pines. Great event.

Draft saved Draft deleted