1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They have that in Hawaii at the beginning of January. Try to pay attention.
    There are thunderstorms in August almost everywhere in America.

maumann likes this.
  2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Todd Lewis with the always silly "Have you had your eye on anything" question after he wins 15 mil?
    Yeah. Because he didn't have the funds to purchase whatever he wanted to in the world before.
    "Yeah Todd. I had my eyes set on the new GMC Yukon. But now I've got this 15 mil...
    I can go ahead and get the Denali."

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Greenland

Michael_ Gee, Chef2 and Webster like this.
  4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

“I’ll probably spend most of it on alcohol, women, and gambling. The rest of it I’ll waste.”

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Oh the brutal honesty of Roger.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was very interesting how the announcers yesterday constantly emphasized the amount of money at stake. Of course that's forbidden by the Masters, but it's seldom if ever mentioned in broadcasts of the other majors, and even at regular tournaments money has been replaced by constant reference to FedEx points. Here it was all about the Benjamins, or should I say the Salmon P. Chases.

maumann likes this.
  7. playthrough

That's the most disingenuous part to me. You'll never hear about the cash at an average tour event on the broadcasts, and see how long it takes you to find payouts on the Tour's website afterward. But the Tour will pimp out the FedEx money and also talk cash during Players week, since the purse is bloated to outdo the real majors.

maumann likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

FedEx is only the second biggest whore for the PGA Tour.

maumann likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

I should point out that money used to be the official measuring stick of PGA Tour success and whether or not you stayed on said Tour. There was nothing wrong with that. Frankly, it was simpler than the FedEx Cup standings. But it's just weird that the Tour deliberately deemphasized money, and then for this one event it's all the announcers talk about. And of course, the reason is obvious. Without the freight trains full of cash, there's nothing really memorable about the FedEx Cup at all.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The PGA Tour is a 501 (c)(6) trade organization that exists to create business opportunities (tournaments with purses) for its members (the players). The PGA Tour staff, from the commissioner on down, by legal definition, works for the players. I'd say Jay Monahan, and Tim Finchem and Deane Beman before him, are doing exactly what they were getting paid for: create lucrative business opportunities for their employers. If FedEx or Delta or Mercedes or fucking Sonic wants to spend sponsorship dollars, who is anyone to tell them they can't and who is anyone to tell the Tour they can't take it? Or somehow question their integrity for doing it?
    Is Coors a whore for the NFL? Is any sponsor for any sport? The reason you get all sports, all the time, on TV, digital or in person, is that sponsors pony up.

11. playthrough

Which is why Monahan, like his predecessors, really doesn't give a flying fig about slow play. It's not stopping the money train. If the CEO of FedEx came to the Commish and said slow play is a problem, then they have a problem.

12. Michael_ Gee

Hondo, as I said earlier I have no problem with the Tour making money or its members making money. I just wish they were a little more upfront about it all year round, not just one week. The grow the game crap they throw out makes me puke. They couldn't care less. They stripped Boston, a most successful playoff event, because Deutsche Bank dropped out. Fine. Just don't tell me about that First Tee crap in every broadcast. It's window dressing, like David Koch's donations to the arts.

Draft saved Draft deleted