1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The NFL's always been there and the PGA Tour finally woke up to the fact that fighting it was a losing battle, plus the Tour wanted to cut down the FedExCup from four to three events so that helped its revised schedule. The LPGA got probably somewhere between 10 minutes and two weeks' notice that Augusta was staging an event opposite its first major, one year out. Not a lot the LPGA could do even if it wanted to, plus it has finally reached a point where it has a full schedule after some down years so you don't want to start shuffling weeks around just because someone else's event might steal some eyeballs and media. Over time, if they're both sharing a weekend, I think the LPGA will do fine. Jennifer Kupcho became an instant star over the weekend, but she's not going to make a career out of playing an amateur event in Augusta. If you liked her, next year you'll want to see what she does in Palm Springs.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think this is probably an accurate summary of how the LPGA sees it. They view the Augusta event as complementary, not a competitor and they could very well be right. There was little if any real time overlap of the two broadcasts.

3. playthrough

Interesting to read that on-course crowds for the women at Augusta probably weren't what they should have been because many fans were pounding the merchandise facility for Masters gear. Unintended consequences.

4. Michael_ Gee

Unintended, perhaps. But certainly not unforeseen by Augusta National. I'm sure the facility was fully staffed.

5. playthrough

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If It Makes You Feel Better, Tiger Will Still Be Teeing Up Way More Than Hogan Did

Tiger has more than earned the right to cherry-pick. Some of us during a rain delay in a Tour event when he was in his prime figured he could play 15 times without holding membership in any Tour: the four majors (he's in Masters, PGA and British until he's 65, U.S. Open for another five years off winning the Masters), four WGCs and The Players (top-50 in the world gets you in all of them) plus any number of events around the world that would kill themselves to give him an exemption. So he throws in the courses of events he loves, such as La Jolla, Bay Hill, Memorial. Bad news for some Tour events but if he keeps winning the big ones because he's fresh, good news for golf.

7. playthrough

Amazing how quickly the Tour reverted back to Tiger Events, then everything else. Quail Hollow has a great field but you know you're getting all of them plus Eldrick two weeks after, so if you have to negotiate with the wife to give up couch time for the Wells Fargo to ensure time for the PGA ... well, that's what I'll do.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I’m far from the biggest Jim Nantz fan but does he have a point here? Koepka kind of reminds of that window between 2003-2005 when Vijay was everywhere but didn’t get the ink because he was a bit of an ass (no. He was an ass). Koepka isn’t close to being an ass, but for some reason doesn’t get the attention. And when he does it’s bullshit nonsense like what chamblee does. My guess is because he comes off as very dry in interviews.

Jim Nantz praises Koepka, rips media’s (and his own) coverage of him

9. Michael_ Gee

Koepka is defending PGA champ and is going for a US Open three-peat. He deserves to be covered as the best bet to win any major, because off recent evidence, he is. But he's a victim of hype circumstance. His injury caused him to miss significant time between his first and second Open wins, and when you're not in the field, it's hard to get much attention. This year, Rory won the Players, so he got the most pre-Masters attention. The Tiger won it, so next week will be all Tiger all the time unless Koepka wins by like eight strokes. Which he could.

10. playthrough

As said, he's very dry in interviews though lately he's been popping off about slow play. But he can pop off as much as he wants about whatever and I'm guessing his stories still don't get many reads. He's also not a guy that really eats and sleeps the game, and that can be a turnoff for writers that are catering to the hard-core golf audience. Nor do you see him in endorsements or being a hero to the fans -- not that any of that should be mandatory for coverage, but that's how the world turns. See Fowler, Rickie.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

He comes off as a guy who probably thought the kids on the golf team in high school were dorks but then started playing competitively more when he realized he was good at it and it could be an easy way to make money compared to other sports. He's like an odd experiment of what would happen if the fullback on the football team decided to take up golf. I'm not saying he's a bad guy, just that he's wired differently.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Koepka gets covered. He’s won three majors. Nantz needs to read more. And I don’t want to hear from him about guys not getting credit when his network jerks Tiger off with one hand and Spieth with the other.

Draft saved Draft deleted