1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 2019 Golf Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Thanks - I could swear the booth was convinced he took an 8 on the hole and then I saw 7 and was a bit confused (which is a bit of a normal state for me anyway)

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am agnostic on the Fed Ex cup, but I certainly don't need updated standings on the 4th tee of the third round of a tournament on Feb 2. I would think that the player's standing in that tournament is more important if you are going to display some information.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If the USGA is really trying to simplify the game, why is that even a penalty? If a ball does not move because of the player, it should be replaced at the place as close as possible as to where it was originally.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

That kind of occurrence has been a penalty in golf since the game started in the 1600s. They decided not to change that one. You'd have to call Far Hills N.J. to find out why.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I understand but the question is why? That's been a pet peeve of mine about the game, as much as I love it, the rules that don't involve a competitive advantage, that have nothing to do with the golfer, have always rubbed me the wrong way. Those are truly a penalty, which by definition doesn't mean something to right a wrong, but truly just a punitive action for punishment.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Expect Crosby weather at Pebble Beach this weekend. Cold and windy all week, and even some snow in the Santa Cruz mountains.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And as always, watch Saturday's celebrity-heavy coverage at your own risk.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If only it was celebrities. More and more of the Saturday coverage is for CEOs who we are always assured are very good golfers. Oh, there are a sprinkling of NFL guys in there, too. But there seems to be less and less of a show biz presence on the broadcasts.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

THIS

I will just skip golf this weekend. Lots of other weekends to watch golf on tv.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This is the only golf weekend for me that is essentially unwatchable.
    I have less than 0 desire to see Peter Kostis analyze Kenny G's golf swing, or have Nantzy and Faldo drag Eastwood out of the lounge and wax poetic about the time him, Jack Lemmon and Bing Crosby once railed a whore on the beach after a round of golf........wait.....I would listen to that story.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I need my yearly fix of George Lopez on the links.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Seek help.
    Without delay.

Draft saved Draft deleted