1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 119th US Open Walking Championship Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, May 30, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

A few things while I'm still (fairly) sober.

If you have a choice between jumping off the Sears Tower and listening to Luke Elvie on us open.com...........be sure you pack a parachute........On everything I own, every 4th word is "Gentleman".
    If you started a drinking game where you took a shot each time he said "Gentleman".......you would be Nicholas Cage in Leaving Las Vegas.

If Schauffele, Cantlay, and JB Holmes teed off 1 together at 209 pm tomorrow, they wouldn't become by sundown.
    If Koepka, Sepp Straka and McIlroy teed off 10 together at 209 pm tomorrow, they would catch the other group after 8 holes.

As much shit as the USGA gets, the only person who is going to kick the old girl in the face this weekend is Mother Nature. Not even the USGA is dumb or arrogant enough to fuck up Pebble Beach.(OK. Scratch that last part.)

If it dries out, winning score will be 279-280.
    If it stays soft, and the Far Hills Gang decide not to get their mitts on it......(Again...scratch that last part.)

I still say Woods wins it.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Based on his idiocy on college football I thought Joel Klatt would be a disaster. But he's passable.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I wanted to pick Rickie in my pool but put Jordan 1 and Rickie 2; he right there and has all the pieces, long off tee, sweet putter and short game. Can he avoid the doubles? That’s it.

Pebble is a course where you don’t need to hit a draw or fade, doesn’t matter just hit it in fairway.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Gotta love Bjerregard pumping two into the water on the 18th tee and then throwing his driver in there. Though out there you never know if an environmentalist will pop out of the water and hand the driver back.

maumann likes this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Another fun USGA pairing I didn't catch til just now.

Dufner
    Kizzire
    Rebula (a)

All 3 played at Auburn.

If the USGA really wanted to get some chuckles, they should have went with Richard Lee, K.H. Lee, Haotong Li.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hank Haney's featured group.

Fred siegle, Webster and jlee like this.
  7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Anyone but Kuchar.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

Things have kind of worked out for Fox
    People will watch Tiger and Phil early before the contenders start

Webster likes this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Damn, didn't get to watch a second of it today.

Gut feeling is Woodland won't hang on. Gimme Rose. Koepka lurking.

10. Fred siegle

Fred siegle Well-Known Member

Am I allowed to double like this because @jlee liked it too?

jlee likes this.
  11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Course is incredible (hello, Captain Obvious). Did a great job of shuttling people to the course from Cal State Monterey Bay, but coming back was a nightmare.

Easy to walk. We're with my 73-year-old dad who doesn't move like he used to, but we set up camp on the first fairway to start as Tiger, Phil and Spieth teed off 20 minutes of each other. Made our way to the third green for a bit.

Lots of locations for food, that of course was overpriced and not very good/cold.

The sixth is an incredible beauty and we were right behind the left bunker as Woodland blasted out.

We made it to No. 7 like the rest of the tousands before my dad's legs started wearing out of him. We worked our way back and hung for a while at No. 15 and we were right next to the guy who got hit by Stenson's second shot. (My dad had moved about two minutes before that when the guy got hit right on the forehead and had a huge welt).

And we were right next to them when the guy said he had one request of Stenson, "Can you take a picture with me?" Stenson got right down on the ground and everyone got a picture (we were right to the top of them). Good stuff.

The merchandise tent is huge with lots of overpriced stuff.

My dad He said today he wanted to just set up at No. 3 (which is right by the Nos. 4 and 17 tee boxes). My brothers and I are going to try to get to the far end of the course (8, 9, 10, 11).

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I still have my 2003 Olympia Fields windbreaker for which I paid an outrageous price (I forget what exactly). I packed poorly, not figuring it could be cool in Chicago in June, so it was my fault, but after 16 years, I figure the investment has been amortized. USGA's ripoffs for food and march exceeded only by the USTA at the tennis Open.

Draft saved Draft deleted