1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fore Please. 119th US Open Walking Championship Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, May 30, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep, especially for those dudes who have been on the fringes in their 40s, barely holding onto their cards. It's a no-cut tour, save for the majors, so it's guaranteed scratch. It's a damn racket.

You watch the seniors to watch their work around the greens. Very few are going to wow you off the tee. As others have said, it's a fun thing to attend when they're in town, but I barely have time to watch regular PGA Tour events, much less anything the old guys do.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Back when Pittsburgh has a senior tour event in the mid-1990s it was fun because you had the draw of Palmer but also players like Chi Chi, Trevino and Larry Laoretti with the Te-Amo sticking out of his mouth. Now? Hell, I didn't enjoy watching young Scott Verplank...

3. BitterYoungMatador2

No cut and only three rounds, right?

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep. Nice way to live if you can get it.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Three rounds and usually two pro-ams, the latter of which would have the regular Tour guys howling. But the old guys know where their bread is buttered, chatting up well-off businessmen usually around their age.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

And, most importantly, you can use a golf cart.

I'll say one thing about the Senior tour: once a year I go back home in the summer to play Quicksilver Golf Course, if for no other reason than to say I'm playing the same course where I watched Arnold play.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I see senior events, full of old people, as ultra-niche events.

Just like I see the Who touring this summer shouldn't be news in Rolling Stone magazine.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It isn't the Who, it's Daltry, Townsend and two guys who aren't the Who. But that's not to your point. The Champions Tour is based on the same principle of the Who Tour. There are lots and lots of old people with money who will pay for an experience where they can pretend to relive their youth.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I know exactly who The Who is, and isn't.

And thus my point. Neither the Who, nor the Seniors Tour, is deserving of national attention.

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Went to TopGolf in Glendale, Ariz., a couple of months ago and it was way cool. I couldn't decide if it was a driving range attached to a sports bar or a sports bar attached to a driving range. They made it very easy to get food and drink with waitress service. There were bars with numerous TVs on all three levels. Fun place.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

TopGolf is awesome. Did it for the first time in Vegas in 2017 for my dad's 70th birthday. We have one here now in the south end of the metro area and a second one is going in now on the north end. It's wildly popular.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted