1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forde to Yahoo!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 13, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

If we're talking about the same guy ...

1. He's tainted. Sorry, the Twitter thing is on his professional tombstone, whether he likes it or not. It looms over the good work he's done, such as the Brashear piece of a couple years ago.

2. Get out while the getting's good and his "brand" (hi, Yankee Fan) has some value. Not that the Post will ever throw him out on the street, of course ...

3. Get him off the local radio already. Any time I click on his show, hoping he's on vacation, I want to cut off my ears. It's gotten better, but still drives me up the wall.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

we're not talking about the same guy - not saying you are wrong, I just haven't heard that. And they may have moved on from talking to anyone there - I just know they were nosing around pretty hard not all that long ago and had at least one specific person in mind.

Of course, I thought the Forde stuff was dead in the water, too. Time to call in the plumber and give the Pipeline a thorough cleansing!

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Meh, Forde's all right, I guess.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, right.

That's a brutal loss for the Mouse, and if they don't understand that, well . . .

5. imjustagirl

Forde, if he reads this, knows I love him as I love few others. Even if raising his kids as Broncos fans counts as abuse in my book.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's like raising Cub fans.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If it's who I'm thinking of and have heard similar rumors about, Yahoo's already experienced success with a colleague of his from a decade ago and a colleague of his from two years ago, at two different shops. And he would fit right in as he's a Reporter with the capital R.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The guy you're talking about is probably the best sports feature writer working at a newspaper right now. And yes, the Big Lead/Deadspin-reading public knows him as the guy who made an ass out of himself on Twitter and his radio show. But as a feature writer, few match him. He'd be quite the coup for The Post Game and Yahoo in general, though I haven't heard his name mentioned really at all.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Versatile, I agree, he writes good features. His columns, I've never been a fan of them. But you can't say "ma[king] an ass out of himself on Twitter and his radio show" counts for nothing.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yahoo has made a habit of hiring people for their abilities, not their reputations. Michael Silver (and now, I suppose, Forde) is probably the only writer on staff who was remotely well-known nationally among sports fans, not journalists, when he was hired by Yahoo Sports.

So I just don't believe Yahoo would, if it wanted a guy, worry too much about a really talented writer's reputation.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The greatest ending of a game I ever covered, Forde was to left, IJAG to my right.

So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

12. imjustagirl

And we didn't even know each other then!

Well, to be fair, I was down on the field by that point. But yes, point remains. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted