1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ford: Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bush "made a big mistake"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What doesn't it have to do with it?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think in hindsight, the pardon was appropriate. Though I would have made it contingnet upon truthful testimoney before a Grand Jury or a Joint session of the House and Senate Select Commitee on Watergate. The last thing this country needed was Nixon on trial.

3. Why? We're a big grown-up country. We could have taken it. I think the almost immediate national public reaction to the pardon is a pretty sturdy argument against the "closure" meme.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The Vanity Fair article this month featuring Richard Perle, Kenneth Adelman, David Frum and company was pretty interesting and it's the same topic...They come across as guys wanting to change their legacies, but it's still a good read.

5. heyabbott

NO FUCKING WAY ARE WE A BIG GROWN UP COUNTRY.
    We are a people of short attention spans, large appetites, crude and simple popular tastes, the need for immediate gratification, a country whose general populace is not well educated, is not prone to nuance, gray areas or long analysis followed by a carefull weighing of factors. We are a nation of adolecents led by demagogues.

Clinton got a blow job at the office and this country went ape shit. Tens of Hundreds of thousands of people don't know how to punch a hole in a paper ballot or work an ATM-like voting machine.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In most places, they call them millions.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jimmy Carter being a major exception to that rule.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sure, but all the presidents after Carter (so far ;) ) have been Republican except for Clinton.

9. heyabbott

I'm not used to literary devices, I thought mine sounded bigger

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Clinton's done a pretty good job of adhering to that rule for the most part though.

Carter on the other hand is a bitter, doddering old fool.

11. heyabbott

All 3 of them. And Reagan had dementia during his 2nd term, Pappy Bush sold his soul for money and Clinton owes his wife for fucking every female he could every day of his marriage. I'm sure Clinton hit on the maid at the hotel during his honeymoon.

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Is the Woodward backlash firing up in earnest after the Ford "revelation":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marty-kaplan/woodwards-woody_b_37284.html

Draft saved Draft deleted