1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ford: Rumsfeld, Cheney, Bush "made a big mistake"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Yeah, I realize this may be discussed on the Ford RIP thread, but this deserves its own separate discussion.

I applaud President Ford for making this statement. I only wish he had allowed it to be reported in 2004, instead of embargoed until after his death. I wonder if he ever expressed these views privately with these gentlemen.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saw that today... was a great example of how openminded the way the Michigan GOP USED to be, with people like Ford and former governor Bill Milliken

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bush, Cheney and Rumsfled don't listen to anyone. That's why we're losing the 3 wars, Islamic terrorism, Afganistan and Iraq, we're currently fighting.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now the yeehaws (hi Hondo) can speak ill of Ford in death.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Proving that a 91-year-old Gerald Ford would be a better president than Shrub, even if he had Cheney and Rummy working for him.

6. Nice news judgment.
    Thanks, Bob.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If Ford did not mention this directly to his buddies on Pennsylvania Avenue, I have a problem with Ford only allowing Woodward to release these comments after Ford's death.

I'm not one to question the fact that Ford had some big stones, but that particular move was chickenshit.

8. Gold

Gold Active Member

Wicked:

Former Presidents will usually be pretty limited in being critical of whomever the current president is, especially when it comes to foreign policy and more so where a war is involved. It's a question of not wanting to weaken the current president's position and options in dealing with other foreign leaders.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I get the unwillingness to show up the current CIC, Gold. He's still weakening the current president with the comments being released now, though.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Unless I'm reading the quote differently than others - or not reading between the lines - but Ford is saying the mistake was in how they justified going to war (WMDs). He didn't say that the war itself was a mistake.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, it's not like he didn't have a working knowledge of how those two are to work with...

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, Featherweight always showed a lotta class, as when he swapped an implicit Nixon pardon for the presidency to which he couldn't get elected, on his own.

Draft saved Draft deleted