1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forced to tweet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gomer, May 10, 2011.

1. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

While social media sites can be useful for tips, there is a down side. They have no idiot filter. It seems like every day since the tornadoes hit our area, the person in our office who monitors that crap has had to do a news story on what people are posting that isn't accurate.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am glad there is no idiot filter. That's the only thing that separates us from the idiots.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yep. Those are compensable hours.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yes, because if there's one immutable rule on the Internet, it's that popularity lasts forever.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

yes, yes, yes

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I had to break down a few months ago and set up a professional Facebook account per managment's orders. I didn't, and still don't, have a personal account.

Since I do a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff, I usually only post a couple stories a week. It's no big deal. It doesn't take long. Honest.

I've also been able to catch up with friends that I haven't seen in years. Yes, everything has to be appropriate because it's a professional account, but I'm not going to post anything inappropriate anyway, even if I had a personal account.

Like what's already been said on this thread, it's the way things are going. We all have to deal with it and move forward. It's really not a big deal. Honest.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

These are always my favorite threads. mustang gets on here, all on his high horse about how we're all stupid and old and don't know how to use technology, how technology is key, then he CONTINUES to flaunt his lack of knowledge about basic grammar and punctuation.

Hey, kid? Less time tweeting, more time remembering there aren't any apostrophes in plurals. We'll all be better off for it.

8. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

I need a Twitter account like I need a cock in my ass.

9. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

If you write/broadcast on a regular basis, I'd highly suggest it.

If you're management or on the desk, then no.

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Unsuccessful troll is unsuccessful.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I find it ironic that someone negotiates himself out of his work union then has work forced upon him.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

"Build your brand"?

How about working on being a better writer, editor and proofreader? That's how we become better employees, more respected and improve both personally and professionally. Beats any "brand."

Draft saved Draft deleted