1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forced to tweet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gomer, May 10, 2011.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Got an interesting email from my ME just now and am wondering how best to respond to it.

In it the ME states that all reporters must sign up for Twitter and Facebook accounts if they have not done so previously, and they must all follow the paper on both platforms.

I've been using Twitter on a mostly professional basis for the past year but this makes me wonder if I shouldn't create new accounts. My employer also has no social media policies in place, and this is all being done while our union contact is being negotiated.

Is it reasonable to force an employee to create social media accounts? Has your paper done this? I agree using these services is important but am feeling a bit uncomfortable about it. Or maybe I just ate something I shouldn't have. It's hard to say.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you feel uncomfortable with it, PM me your name and workplace and I'll set up an account and tweet for you.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

What a terrible ordeal your employer has thrust upon you.

This is absolutely unfair. Talk to your Union rep immediately.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that the best way to respond -- if you want to keep your job -- is the set up Twitter and Facebook accounts and follow your paper.

What you do beyond that is up to you.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Piotr, I negotiated myself out of the union in the last negotiations five years ago. I'm technically management.

I need to understand why this could be a problem, or why I shouldn't worry. Am going to have to deal with this when I get to the office later. I think I'm more concerned with how other staff will respond.

Ace, I already have accounts and already follow my paper on each.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't you think it's simply reasonable to ask reporters to tweet and be on Facebook -- if only to give a snippet of breaking news and/or to provide links to the paper's stories?

We get a lot of web traffic from Facebook.

And from the reporter's perspective -- they should be adept at multimedia as a normal part of their jobs and especially if they hope to get a different job in the future.

The only problem I see is if you have some reporters who like to post stupid, inappropriate stuff. They should get a professional Twitter and Facebook account and a separate one for their personal use.

7. I wish it wasn't forced on me, but it's not my call. If it were up to me, Twitter would burn a fiery death in the lowest circle of hell. However, I'm going to be forced to post on the site in a few months, so I've held out as long as I possibly could. That said, I can at least hold out in my personal life. I'll post scores and news on this account to make my paper happy, but I will never have a personal Twitter account.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Embrace the technology!

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The best thing you can do is create a Facebook account for your paper and link it to your Twitter. Post everything on Facebook and it automatically shows up on Twitter, so then you don't have to repost stuff over and over again.

10. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

People make this more work and hand-wringing worthy than it needs to be. Twitter and Facebook are both great ways to get additional eyeballs on your work.

Utilize RSS feeds (there are simple tutorials a Google search away) and other programs to make it easy. You might not have to do any work at all to have a basic Twitter/Facebook connection set up to link your articles. Whether you choose to interact with the readers is up to you. I suggest it, because it helps widen the audience, but it's up to your preference.

People look at this like work, but it takes all of a couple minutes to set up and utilize properly each day.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

this is just good sense in this century to be on both. Set up professional accounts for both (separate from your personal fb so that the ME and general public don't see the pictures of you doing a keg stand back in college) and post stories and links and "hey this is what we're working on for tomorrow."
    and honestly if you cover preps a lot, fb can be a good source for info. Johnny Football-Hero from Pudunk High isn't going to be as media savvy as his college counterpart and might post "man, my shoulder is killing me. not sure I can play Friday" and there you have a story.

12. I didn't know I could do that. I'll have to create a new Facebook when I'm forced to join Twitter and do it that way. I'll feel a lot better posting to Facebook than getting on Twitter. Thanks for that idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted