1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forbes ranks the "most valuable" college football teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 1, 2007.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Interesting read.

http://www.forbes.com/home/business/2006/12/22/college-football-ncaa-business_cz_jg_1222collegefootball.html

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I heard about this on NPR the other day. That NBC pie is going to make Charlie Weis the Irish fat for as long as they want.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Where the hell's the list? I read the story and the lengthy explanation of how it calculated values, but at the end, no payoff.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

You have to look at the "in pictures" crap to be able to see who they were.

5. Football_Bat

Got it. What a pain in the ass ... but I know why Forbes did it that way. More hits.

I'll save everyone else the trouble.

1. Notre Dame
    2. Texas
    3. Georgia (kind of a surprise for me)
    4. Michigan
    5. Florida
    6. The Ohio State
    7. Alabama
    8. Tennessee
    9. Oklahoma
    10. LSU
    11. Auburn
    12. Penn State
    13. South Carolina (doubtless from all that Cocks gear)
    14. Texas A&M
    15. Wisconsin

6. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

The multimedia rights for seven of those programs are owned by Learfield Communications. I believe Host Communications has the rights to three other schools on the list. I don't know about the other five. Those companies have a big part in this, I think. The marketing issue comes into play and they're able to negotiate better television contracts when the school's multimedia contracts are held by companies like Learfield and Host.

7. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wonder about Notre Dame, they, like the rest of the privates, don't have to give up those numbers or at least I think they don't have to.
    Also interesting to note that Ohio State brings in $89.7 million and spends 89.6 of it.

9. Football_Bat

Interesting read, hoops.

The reason I was surprised by UGA is because of the common perception of sports fans in that state — not selling out Braves playoff games, etc. You have a finite number of entertainment dollars, and four pro teams and Georgia Tech to compete with.

I know college football's a different animal there, but I figured a couple of other programs in the SEC would be bigger moneymakers.

10. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Georgia has a huge donation base. The program makes a ton of money.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you're not in the state, obviously. it's a big state, with one of the biggest cities in america -- and the dogs are the no. 1 team in the state, and it isn't close

Draft saved Draft deleted