1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forbes' Most Powerful Celebrities list

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 17, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This could be a companion to the thread about feeling old, because I've not consumed one iota of information about a lot of these folks:

http://www.forbes.com/celebrities/

Full list is at the link, but here's the top 20:

1. Jennifer Lopez
    2. Oprah Winfrey
    3. Justin Bieber
    4. Rihanna
    5. Lady Gaga
    6. Britney Spears
    7. Kim Kardashian
    8. Katy Perry
    9. Tom Cruise
    10. Steven Spielberg
    11. Taylor Swift
    12. Tiger Woods
    13. Angelina Jolie
    14. Donald Trump
    15. LeBron James
    16. Beyonce Knowles
    17. Elton John
    18. Simon Cowell
    19. Rush Limbaugh
    20. Tyler Perry

Of those, only 11 have done at least one thing to give me enjoyment.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Beyonce is higher than Jay-Z. That's funny...

3. Mizzougrad96

Glenn Beck made $80 million last year? Holy crap...

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that struck me as odd, too.

I'm also surprised that Bieber is so high. I know he's making a lot of money, but does he really have power? Influence?

I guess the same questions go for several others on that list, but he's the highest of them.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

He's got something like 22 million followers on Twitter. I read somewhere that Floyd Mayweather sort of recruited Bieber to be part of his entourage a couple of weeks ago in order to tap into that following when Bieber tweeted about it. I would suspect that the vast majority of his followers are teen girls, so I'm not sure how much interest in boxing that might generate, though. On the other hand, if he tweets about some product and that drives sales, that gives him power, no?

6. Mizzougrad96

I don't have a problem with Bieber being where he is. He's kind of following the Usher and Jay-Z model where he's doing a lot of producing and is investing in a lot of companies...

7. bigpern23

I don't know, I don't really define being a pitchman as having power.

Would anyone take Bieber's opinion seriously about anything other than what brand of sneakers to wear or soda to drink?

Jay-Z, for instance, despite making less money, I would think has more influence, whether on music, sports, fashion or even politics.

Steven Spielberg, I would think, wields considerably more "power" than Justin Bieber.

8. bigpern23

I just read the article that defines how Forbes defines "power" :

Under that criteria, I suppose Bieber is fine where he is, but I'd argue money and fame do not equal power.

Spielberg could probably have Bieber killed and dumped in the Vegas desert and make Kim Kardashian take the fall. That's power, my friend. :D

9. Mizzougrad96

It should say influential and not powerful...

Agree about Spielberg. People like him and Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer and some of the other producers on there have far more power than those who are primarily just entertainers...

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is 'TV personality' a euphemism for 'well known despite lacking any discernible skill, talent or ability'?

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

11? For me it might be one, or two. Depending on how we define enjoyment.

12. Trying to explain Jennifer Lopez at number one is kind of like explaining that BYU was once the national football champion. My dad's been dead 12 years and has more acting skills than she does. Her new movie screams train wreck, which is par for the course for her since Selena.

Draft saved Draft deleted