1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Forbes announces "America's Best Sports Fans"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Aug 3, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This cracked me up:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/02/best-fans-teams-lifestyle-sports-fandom_slide.html

#11 in the survey: Montreal Canadiens.

Overnight Quebec becomes part of Maine.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Steelers fans are No. 2 to the Sawx!?!

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Cavs fans > Browns fans? LOL

We'll find out how great the Cavs fans are when there's no LeBron. For all the talk about hating LeBron, the Cavs have been an irrelevant franchise with halfway decent attendance for most of their existence. Browns fans have sold out that stadium on the edge of a frigid lake for 10 straight years despite the cesspool the organization has put in it. Browns fans just set a record for attendance at freaking practice. Browns fans still hold grudges against Art Modell -- for firing Paul Brown 45 years ago. Browns fans wouldn't stand by and let the NFL allow their team to get stolen out from under them.

Cavs fans have enjoyed a party for the last seven years, but not many of them are going to stick around and help clean up the mess. Browns fans have been treating the mess like a party the last 15 years.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Oh America?

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You figure they could have gone one step further and thrown in a rating/team success ratio. Which fans are the best per win/playoff appearance.
    It's a dumb list - who didn't know we're all a bunch of front-runners?

As much as I hate to say it, being a Raiders fan, I'd say the Broncos have the best fans in the NFL. They've sucked for 15 years and you would still think they have a legit shot at the Super Bowl judging their fans.

There are other long-suffering fans - but their "love" is usually shown by either resignation (Bills, Browns) or hostility to the ownership (Bears, Redskins, Lions).

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Hah. Somehow I knew that was going to happen when I saw the thread title. Though there are some pretty fervent Habitants fans in the U.S. and Canada is in North America, that's a silly goof.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Three interesting things from that picture spread:

1. Montreal has 24 Cups, not 22.
    2. The Cowboys were not great in the 1980s
    3. I saw almost no pics of black fans. Just one in the background for the Spurs and maybe the neck of black fan in the Wings.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think Broncos fans would have to rate high in any such rating as this, foolish though it is. But is it quality or quantity. There's a core of Red Sox fans who're great, surrounded by a large group of frontrunners who happen to include most of the folks who can afford tickets at Fenway Park.
    I think, as a fan of the Phillies of the 1950s and 60s, and as the grandchild of Senators fans, that loyalty in the face of ineptitude should count in these ratings. You go a lot of Golden State Warriors games? You're a real fan.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Laughed at the first picture ... Haven't even gone deeper into the list.

16. Chicago Blackhawks?! Riiiight ... The same Chicago Blackhawks that were getting out-drawn by the AHL team in town just a few years ago?

So this is pretty much a "Who's Now?" version of best fans.

EDIT: I finished. Everyone loves a list, even if it's as stupid as this one.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

When I lived in the Pittsburgh area (1987-91), I found Pens fans to be almost completely ignorant of hockey. They were fans of Mario and of winning, not of hockey.

Most Laker fans, also, know almost nothing about the game.

11. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Well it's good to see Boston sports fans finally have a reason to pat themselves on the back

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I also question the inclusion of the Patriots.
    For most of my life, I don't recall Boston fans being particularly passionate about football.
    That phenomenon is only a decade old.

Draft saved Draft deleted