1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For your entertainment

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I love the clip, and generally like Andy Kaufman, but I'm not going to judge anyone else's sense of humor. Different strokes and all that ...

Except ... seriously ... did he really say that about Monty Python? Seriously? Lord ... never mind.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

On the whole Monty Python did suck. It's just that when they were good........they were REALLY REALLY good.

Most of it though is god-awful.

And yes, I think Mitch Hedberg was amazing.

3. Oh. My. God.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

He's a caricature. Pay no attention.

He also thought "Private Parts" was an intelligent comedy.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Holy shit. He's dumb, he's dumb, he's dumb ... and then at the last second he's briefly smart. He's like the best/worst troll ever.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I just don't have the type of sense of humor that allows me to enjoy Monty Python and Andy Kaufman, I guess. I think they're silly and sophomoric. And I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I've never seen Dane Cook and don't know who Frank Caliendo is.

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Heartbreaking. The Kaufman thing never made me laugh, but Mitch Hedberg? He was pretty good.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Have you seen some of that Monty Python stuff? Besides Holy Grail and bits of Life of Brian, it's like watching your grandmother tell sex jokes on stage ... awkward, but not in the least bit funny.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Hondo, you and I might never agree politically, but boy oh boy can we agree on Andy Kaufman. I remember seeing his Carengie Hall special on HBO, the one where he took the audience out for milk and cookies afterward. Just brilliantly surreal, a great way to warp a young mind. Hey, I should show him to my kids. I can't hear the word "Memphis" without thinking of Kaufman's exaggerated Southern accent while talking smack to Jerry Lawler on "I'm From Hollywood."

10. Ditto

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A classic. But I think it has to be watched within that entire first episode to be appreciated. There were several parts of that episode that just weren't all there comedically, but it was obvious SNL would become very, very big once they figured it out.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So Bob ... do you think Andy staged his own death and will come back one day?

Draft saved Draft deleted