1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Your Consideration: The under-appreciated greatness of Cheers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like the logic there, but I think Cheers actually should get points for (usually) keeping things really simple. Also, Cheers has been off the air for more than 20 years, and nothing has come close to being that good since then.

I think Cheers holds up remarkably well when some of the episodes are 30+ years old.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That was hilarious.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So Bill Simmons is saying Larry Bird was better than Michael Jordan?

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Thomas Haden Church was brilliant as Lowell, and Tony Shalhoub was a great find, too. The Fay and Roy characters were hilarious as supporting roles. That ensemble was right up there almost with the Cheers group. And much better than the Friends stuff, for reasons already covered.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

No, he's saying Larry Bird was more unique than Michael Jordan.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Right, but then he picks Seinfeld as the better show. I wish he would occasionally just get to his point without all the cross-culture references. But that's for another thread and another time.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I wonder what a Bill Simmons piece would look like if you forbade pop culture references.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And the past decade has proved him very wrong; sitcoms have taken to imitating Seinfeld much more than Cheers.

Curb Your Enthusiasm was around when he wrote that, so I don't know what he was thinking.

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The thing that stood out so much about Cheers is how simple most of the episodes were. Just one basic set and a handful of regulars who have a lot of fun.

It was a pioneer. Now you see sitcoms do the same thing and it is ordinary. Back then, it was new. Ground-breaking.

As I went through the four pages of posts in this thread, I wasn't surprised that I remembered all of the funny moments that were referenced, but I remember so many more.

The Hungry heffer.

Woody running for office

The Kelly Song

The Thanksgiving Dinner episode.

"Grandma's Killer Fudge"

It just seemed like the ensemble had a great time on the series and that it was fun to watch.

The humor was genuine. . .not too off-color. Not a lot of "bathroom humor" as my mom would say.

Just good old fun. . .

and this is coming from somebody who grew up watching Mary Tyler Moore, Newhart and Carol Burnett.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

About 250 words.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted