1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

For Your Consideration: The under-appreciated greatness of Cheers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 2, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Excited about putting together the initial post of "For Your Consideration: The underappreciated greatness of Jay Cutler."

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Do that, we really haven't had a hall of fame-level thread in a while.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I would actually love to see a thread kicked off with a convincing passionate argument about Cutler, so if you feel inspired, please do so. We all know it will get Steeler jacked somehow but maybe less do than normal.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I gave it a shot.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/93003/

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It wasn't a truly great episode but I always liked the end of the one where Carla attacked the Yankee fan.

"You shouldn't of said all those things about the Bruins."

"Why? You a Bruins fan?"

"No. I'm a Bruin..."

"C'mon, I'll walk yah to yah cah. I'll show you some of those sissy things I got suspended for."

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fred Dryer was almost Sam Malone. That blows me away every time I read it.

Just love Cheers. I don't watch the reruns religiously, which kind of makes it even more special to stumble across them when I'm flipping around. If I ever got enough free time (hahahahah) I'd watch the whole series in order.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It would have been a different Cheers, but I can almost see Fred Dryer working.

Fred Dryer was in one of the first episodes, playing one of Sam's former teammates who was a sportscaster who comes to the bar to interview Sam. ... but takes off in the middle when he finds out John McEnroe is available.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

MASH with MacLean Stevenson was better than MASH with Harry Morgan. Same with Shelley Long v Kirstie Alley.

Lillith and Fraser were funnier than Sam and Diane/Rebecca

9. printit

printit Member

Best show in history at incorporating new characters into the show. The little references to things in the past helped make the characters real. (Sam went back to pitch at Fenway and he and Carla were in the dugout wishing Coach was there, several seasons after he had passed).
    And, they were all good actors, not comedians acting, which I think helped.

10. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Fred Dryer's character helped stoke some of the great Sam moments, including "Hey! I already got a chick!" and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxaQ9cKYQXo

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I haven't watched Cheers in ages. I should. I'd like to see for myself how its aged. There's no doubt it's one of the greatest, if not the greatest, comedies of all-time. To see it grouped in with Friends just makes me want to retch.

My wife watches Frasier to help her fall asleep at night. Frasier hasn't aged well, in my opinion, but it wasn't as good as Cheers was either.

And for my money, the Rebecca years were much funnier than the Diane years.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I know we've been round and round on this but there is nothing at all wrong with Friends. It's another show simply about the relationships of an extended family. It wasn't groundbreaking but it certainly isn't anything to be ashamed of liking. "The One With The Embryos" better known as the trivia episode is one of the best half hour comedy episodes of the entire 90s.

Draft saved Draft deleted